Author Topic: 3M shield replacement  (Read 6857 times)

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
3M shield replacement
« on: February 27, 2016, 01:16:15 AM »
Ok, I have decided to have the 3M front protection film removed on my 2005 Thunder. Now the question is should I have another put on or leave it off? Is the new stuff any better than the stuff that's on there now? I thought about having the paint guy add some extra clear coat and leaving it off. I really don't want to have a new film put on and then have it look yellow and cloudy again. Any thoughts? Thank you!!
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: 3M shield replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 01:53:32 AM »
I have heard of some folks getting the front of their coaches "painted" with stuff like in the link below.  There seems to be many manufacturers, all appear to be similar.  I do not know how it lasts or what it costs, but if it works successfully on the decks of boats, then it should protect the front end of a coach too.  It's a spray-on bed liner like material - perhaps you have seen a pickup with it sprayed into the bed.  Just a thought...

http://www.durabakcompany.com/marine.htm
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Russ Taylor

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 02:48:20 AM »
I have used Durabak on the decks of my boat, it is great for that. It has a very aggressive surface with chunks of rubber in the paint. It’s hard to clean because of the heavy texture.   It is not something I would recommend for the front of a coach.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 03:24:02 AM »
My wife and I spent a combined 32 hours to remove the original 3M off of our 2002 Thunder. We had one spot 3/4in. by 3/4in. that the paint stuck to that plastic shield. The front end now looks like new. We will NEVER put anything like that on again! Lots of wax and care. Just our opinion. Marty

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 03:49:21 AM »
The shield should not be put over fresh paint, yet that's what's done at many if not most coach manufacturers.  It simply takes too long for paint to properly cure, literally months in this consideration, and they can't wait that long before shipping to dealers;  I guess in some situations, dealers are responsible for applying the product, but yet not enough time is allowed for curing. The consequence is that the film and curing paint fuse somewhat, probably depending on ambient conditions, geographic and weather wise, following manufacture and at dealerships.  This makes removing the film extra difficult, as the Shenks discovered.

A replacement should be easier to remove, if there's ever a next time, though it certainly may not be your worry by then.  Nevertheless, I'd still rather have one there than not, given the likely cost of repainting the front cap.  That's born out by the dozens of rock chinks in my own film, very few of which made it through to the underlying paint.

Ours hasn't yellowed, but some cloudiness is probably from the micro-scratches applied to the film, that's softer than paint, caused by poor washing techniques.  Like the anti-glare films on eye glasses, it is softer and quite subject to fine scratching whereas the underlying hard surface is more resistant.  Admittedly, I've not always given the cap a thorough first rinse and used soft, immaculately clean wool mitts in lieu of an auto wash brush.  Dirt and road grit should be gently rinsed and then floated off with high-sudsing Dawn or other mild detergent, not brush scrubbed no matter how "soft" the brush claims or seems to be.  While on trips, a weekly rinse, gentle soaping, and a simple coat of spray-on, slick, anti-bug, anti-UV, silicone or carnauba wax can help keep you from having to scrub the cap, which induces and encourages the cloudiness.

Joel
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 09:58:43 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jim Shaw

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 01:21:14 PM »
Larry I had mine removed, but was unable to get it off without removing a lot of the paint so had to repaint the front cap. I would never put anything back on after that.
JIm

Dick Simonis

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 02:59:17 PM »
I have heard of some folks getting the front of their coaches "painted" with stuff like in the link below.  There seems to be many manufacturers, all appear to be similar.  I do not know how it lasts or what it costs, but if it works successfully on the decks of boats, then it should protect the front end of a coach too.  It's a spray-on bed liner like material - perhaps you have seen a pickup with it sprayed into the bed.  Just a thought...

http://www.durabakcompany.com/marine.htm

If you can get hold of Roy Warren, he had his film removed, replaced with Rino Lining and repainted.  I looked at his coach in Bend and it was really nice.  I'm thinking real seriously about the same approach.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 05:01:03 PM »
Thank you so much for all the feed back. I have some options to think about. Thanks again!!
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 07:32:15 PM »
Larry
 The warrens coach is excellent.  Bend RV repair I believe is where it was done and it is painted with truck bed liner product.  The difference is it is colored to match the original paint perfectly.  It looks original and last I spoke with them they were pleased.
Once that 3M starts to turn it is nasty so if I were doing this the Warren process would be my choice!
Also, I believe they said the same treatment works on the roof.
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Doug Neal

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 04:09:16 AM »
We had Jeff Spears of Bend RV do the front of our coach last year. Same thing that Warrens and Tim Bently have. Color match is perfect. It is a little expensive, depending on what prep work is required. We previously had a bra so the snap holes had to be filed. If you have the 3M film that is tough to remove. Not sure what it cost us as we had other work done. But Jeff has always been very fair on his cost.