Author Topic: Air conditioner replacement.  (Read 3283 times)

Paulhowell

Air conditioner replacement.
« on: July 09, 2017, 05:19:38 PM »
We just bought a 40 foot 1999 Patriot Thunder with a C-12 Cat diesel. The front a/c schroud blew off on the first trip. The aft a/c makes a loud thump when turning on and off. I'm considering just replacing both units as opposed to just buying new shrouds. I've found a dometic a/c unit on Amazon for $582 which seems like a great deal. It's a Dometic Brisk II 15,000 BTU unit. It states in the description that the install type is ducted or non-ducted. Our coach has a ducted system and the original thermostats. Will this unit be compatible?  Will I need any extra items and will the original thermostats be compatible? Do the new units need a roof gasket or is that included?  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
Re: Air conditioner replacement.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 04:01:11 PM »
We are currently parked in Houston, TX and have been suffering in the heat and humidity. After having our AC units serviced I decided to replace the bedroom one with the advice from the tech. I had the Domtic Penguin 2 installed, 15,000 btu with heat pump. WOW, what a difference!! I had no idea how inefficient my 12 year old AC's were!! After replacing the bedroom one I have decided to replace the living area one also with the same model. They did have to replace my thermostats. Apparently you can purchase a control board that will talk to the old thermostat, but I decided to spend the 100 dollars for the multizone, new model. I think the rest was plug and play on the installation. This upgrade sure made a big difference in our indoor comfort level. Good luck with your installation!!
Larry Fisk
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:02:59 PM by Larry Fisk »
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Paulhowell

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 04:59:00 PM »
Thanks Larry!  I went with the Dometic Brisk II and new digital thermostats.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 06:32:04 PM »
Paul, Might want to recheck the overall height of your motorhome, the Brisk Air is several inches taller than the Penguin units. Watch out for that underpass!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."