Author Topic: Leaking Dash heater core replacement  (Read 6035 times)

Robert McCormack

• BAC Member
Leaking Dash heater core replacement
« on: March 06, 2016, 11:14:38 PM »
My 96 Patriot has developed a leak from the heater core in front of the dash.  While hoses can be replaced from the front removable panel the cover for the actual heater core appears to have been secured from the other side.   I can't see any way to remove the little wooden center cabinet inside or the dash itself.

How does one access the heater core ?

Thanks
96 Patriot

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: Leaking Dash heater core replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 05:39:23 PM »
Robert, check on the outside of the firewall (space between front cap and interior). If it is anything like my 98 Monterey or my 2002 Thunder the heater core (and the AC evaporator) are mounted in a fiberglass case made by Acme. That whole case would have to be removed from the outside and split open to replace or repair the heater core. I had to do this on my 98 Monterey to repair the evaporator. Hope that helps. Marty

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 06:15:30 PM »
Robert:
             I had a 2001 Marquis that had a leaking heater core. It was discovered after I had temp issues with the engine, antifreeze got too low. BCS replaced my heater core and took the dash cap off to access the core. My suggestion is to call Ken at BCS and he might have some information to pass along.

Good Luck.             Larry D
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 07:04:46 PM »
Robert...A couple of years ago Roy Mueller replaced a heater core in Lamar's 2000 Marquis.  Give Roy a call.  I do know that he had to cut out some of dash firewall so he could squirm in that section to get to the problem.  Not easy for a big fellow as I recall. :(
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Robert McCormack

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 04:28:08 AM »
Lot of good information.   Looking closer it appears to be as Marty described, a unit that can be removed with a removable panel behind it which accounts for the screws ends I see sticking out.  I'll check with the other sources suggested.   For now I can just bypass the core as I don't really need heat at present, not that cold in Calif.

Thanks all
96 Patriot

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 01:37:04 PM »
Hi

Just encountered the same problem. leaking heater core...bypassed it and all is well. do not normally need it in South Texas.

regards,
Jerry

Al Lewis

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 12:20:14 AM »
I had this problem on my 2002 Monterey. I talked to a tech at what was left of Monaco and he said I could cut a hole in the front cap and the heater box. I did not like that option. Taking the cover off between the dash and windshield I found an access hole the factory had put in and sealed back up. Using top and bottom access and help from a grandson I cut the heater box open, replaced the core, and sealed the box back up. It is still working well and has been my most challenging success story!

Todd Brunner

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 09:15:05 PM »
On my '94 Patriot I was able to replace it from the front using an Acme replacement. You just remove the screws that secure it to the firewall and pull it away enough to the to the screws that hold the plate that covers the core. You do not need to disconnect the lines to the condenser to get to it, just tilt it up to access the screws.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 04:51:07 PM »
Heater core replacement procedure varies widely between Beaver coaches. On the original production coaches (pre 1995), the core was removable through the removable front panel in the front cap, and most mechanics remove the entire evaporator case to replace the heater core. On the SMC era coaches (1996 to 2002) with a removable panel in the front cap, the procedure is like the original design, but if there is no removable panel, you have to remove the top of the dash, and cut an access hole (the factory access hole is usually too small) to remove the evaporator case from there and from under the coach but most of the work is done from inside the coach through the top of the dash. You have to be careful when cutting the access hole and repair it when finished (I reinstall the piece I cut out with a sheet metal piece above it) to prevent air leaks, but it is doable for the average mechanic. The same basic procedure is used for A/C expansion valve replacement, but the evaporator case is not removed.

Gerald