Author Topic: BCS Metal Coolant Expansion Tank  (Read 7715 times)

Dick Simonis

BCS Metal Coolant Expansion Tank
« on: March 09, 2016, 03:30:22 PM »
Question for those of you with the replacement metal coolant expansion tank.

Does the sight glass represent the hot or cold level.  My coolant level is below the sight glass but after what happened to me when I overfilled my Agua Hot I want to make sure I don't repeat that experience.

As a corollary to that question, has anyone added a secondary expansion tank to the overflow??

Thanks.

Dick

Gerald Farris

Re: BCS Metal Coolant Expansion Tank
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 04:39:30 PM »
Dick,
I can not answer your question about the sight glass, but if you add an overflow tank like many owners of a similar coach have, it is not an issue because the expansion tank will remain completely full at all times. Here is one of many threads that discuss the addition of an overflow tank on your model coach;
http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,1170.msg7503.html#msg7503

The addition of an overflow tank is more important on coaches that are still running the original plastic Ford expansion who have lowered the radiator cap to a 7 pound cap to prevent the plastic tank from cracking. However, the overflow tank that I installed on my coach is very convenient to quickly see the coolant level and easily add any additional coolant.

Gerald   

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 12:05:26 AM »
Thank Gerald.  I like the overflow bottle and think I will do the same.

Dick

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 04:10:49 PM »
 When I installed the BCS expansion tank I installed a Caterpillar  1 gallon overflow bottle. 
The expansion tank will remain full. 
FYI  the sight glass on the BCS tank cracked so I replaced it with a brass plug .

Glenn Scherrer

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 11:10:34 PM »
What tanks are available for the cat both plastic or metal not the over flow tank

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 03:29:47 PM »
Glenn,
The type of expansion tank that is available for your coach will depend upon what year and model coach you have, and since you did not furnish that information, I can not answer your question.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 04:11:32 PM »
One thing about the extra overflow container is that as long as I can see some fluid when hot, then I do not worry about the level. You can fill both the original expansion tank and the extra overflow container to the point that you are forcing fluid out of the extra tank onto the ground.

You will need to find the fluid level in the original overflow tank that allows some flow to the extra container when hot, so you have a visible fluid level, but not so much that it overflows. In my case, which is linked in Gerald's post, I cannot start with a full original container and not have the added second container overflow. I think I run the first tank about 2/3rds full to have the hot level indication in the second tank. You will find your sweet spot and not be wasting time and antifreeze anymore. The 1 gallon version, if you have the space may be a little easier to manage but not at all necessary.

Later Ed

Glenn Scherrer

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 09:22:53 PM »
My coach is a 1998 patriot 3126 cat were can I find a expiation tank ?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 10:14:32 PM »
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp