Author Topic: Aero 5 inch AT5050XL resonated muffler installation  (Read 6077 times)

Jeremy Parrett

Aero 5 inch AT5050XL resonated muffler installation
« on: March 17, 2016, 05:47:54 AM »
My old Donaldson muffler looks like a colander !!  I have ordered an Aero AT5050XL 5 inch replacement. If anyone has done this modification Some details and a parts needed list would be a great help .
 I have a C12 in a 2000 Marquis.  Thanks.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Aero 5 inch AT5050XL resonated muffler installation
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 06:42:11 AM »
Jeremy,
Here's some info I found on Goggle in case you haven't seen it. It's a resonator as well as a muffler so exhaust sound may change. Let us know if you see the performance gains claimed in  the second reference.
http://beamalarm.com/Documents/exhaust_system_replacement-2003_u320.html
http://www.parleysdieselperformance.com/products/aero-exhaust-resonated-turbine-xl-series-performance-muffler-at5050xl
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 01:45:01 PM »
Jeremy,

We had one of these installed on our previous coach, 2000 Thunder, by Bend RV repair. The parts were: muffler, hanging bracket, clamps, and a chrome extension. The extension cost about as much as the muffler. I liked it, but it barks pretty loud when in Jake, especially on mountain downhill and between highway sound walls.

I believe the muffler helped a bit with power and mileage. Or maybe it was the robust sound that tickled my brain into believing it did.   :)

Enjoy,

Phil    8)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 02:40:54 PM »

I believe the muffler helped a bit with power and mileage. Or maybe it was the robust sound that tickled my brain into believing it did.   :)

Enjoy,

Phil    8)

I remember when I added baby moons, and put an STP sticker on the window of my '56 Olds,. I'm positive I increased my horse power by 5%!  ;D
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 06:03:21 PM »
Steve Phill and Stan, thank you for great info and the pics link .  Stan there are two different Aero mufflers.  The one I will install is a resonator .  Your experience might be with the straight thru Aero muffler which is way louder !!  Either way it would seem the db's in the video link are actually less for the Aero resonator at high idle than the old standard muffler !!   
Wrapping the whole system in  reflective  heat lagging will cut the db's  as well as heat in the bedroom substantially .

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 04:29:22 PM »
Well, what's 5" when you can still think young and go 6".  I pulled our 5" 5050 XL resonator  off and cut both ends, pulling the stainless steel wool ( resonator ) out, making 6" in 6" out. Now I creep out at idle from campgrounds and when we arrive at Beaver rallies you know Jim and his earplugged bride have arrived. With the air cleaner mod and the ear splitting, basically non existing muffler, my mileage is up and definitely performance.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Walt Pocock

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 03:22:56 AM »
Couple years ago I installed the AERO straight through muffler (you can roll a grapefruit through it) and the AFE air filter. Like Jim said, when the Jake is on they definitely know you have arrived. That was the first benefit and the second is my coach has quicker low end throttle response so it moves around town better and the third is I have slightly better fuel mileage. I'm glad I installed these and my wife has begun to get accustomed to the increase in sound.

Doug Neal

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 03:27:16 AM »
I had Jeff Spears in Bend install a 5" resonator type on our 370 HP ISL Cummings. It does bark a little at certain rpm's when you accrelate from a stop. But listen to my Dakota PU some time. Not sure there is any performance or mileage increase, but I can now hear the 5 to 6 shift, which I like.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 04:13:19 AM »
Our coach has an AERO resonating muffler and the AFE air filter.  We cannot hear the exhaust report much when in the coach, but Leslie can hear the coach's exhaust when it's several blocks away before I get to the house.  I am still concerned about the efficiency of the AFE air filter.  I cleaned and re-oiled the air filter while at Lake Pleasant at Peoria, AZ a few weeks ago.  The Air Filter Minder was telling me it was pretty plugged up.  It was.  After taking it out I was wondering how any air was getting through.  I think I will plan to clean it before leaving for the winter every year.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!