Author Topic: Bay Door Latches?  (Read 5878 times)

Michael Kauffman

Bay Door Latches?
« on: August 04, 2010, 06:45:18 PM »
[size=14]The bay doors on my 98' Patriot are hard to get latched.  I close the door and have to push in while lifting the handle to get them to close.  And most of the time just one side latches so you have to go back and forth to get them both to latch.  Is this common in this vintage Beaver?  Is there a remedy?  Thanks for any help, Mike[/size]

Jim Bentley

• BAC Member
Re: Bay Door Latches?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:09:36 PM »
I go through the same routine each time. Jim

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 08:31:18 PM »
I do also and have to be careful here in FL as the doors can get pretty hot and when you do the leg push can be a real pain. If they were not hard you would not have a good weather seal.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 05:15:17 AM by 14 »

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 11:38:24 PM »
Mine have been that way for 10 years.

After lubrication the latches, I actually cut some shims out of thin aluminum and spaced the latch aluminum catch blocks out a bit but not too much. This helped some.

My tried and true method is to shut (slam) the door, visual both ends and if one door side is not latched, it will stick out a bit. Take your leg and lean against the bottom angle portion of the door and push and it will latch shut. You can hear it click. This works well (but you could get your leg or pants dirty!).

Larry Fritz
1998 Beaver Patriot 37'
3126B CAT
Larry Fritz

Jim Shaw

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 01:07:36 AM »
HI, Larry, It seems we all have the same problem with our doors. I clean mine with spray parts cleaner and lube with spray silicone and they seems to work better for a few months, then I have to do it again. One of the techs at the Bend service center told me to do that a few years ago.
Jim

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 03:00:43 AM »
Even newer models behave that same way, and it's not just a Beaver thing.  The leg push used to be necessary each time with ours, but after a couple of years even that isn't enough;  the latch lift and close both sides routine is now the norm, with an occasional leg push to help things along.  

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Phil And Carol Upham

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 06:45:57 AM »
I have the same problem on our 2000.  I replaced some latches when they broke.  Began using soap on the latches which helped.  I stayed away from lubricants as I was concerned the lubricant would break down the plastic latches.

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 07:50:37 PM »
I know it sounds terrible but I have found that the Larry Fritz method works best for me. I place four fingers on the chrome handle and with one smooth and deliberate motion "slam" the door shut. I used to push on both sides and latch the compartments but was annoyed with having to clean the finger and handprints that were left behind. Then I stand back and look to make sure that both sides have latched.  :o

David Rudisill

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 08:11:01 PM »
While at Monaco in Coburg having work done a couple months ago, I mentioned this problem to the tech. He said you can recognize Beaver owners by the dirt on there shins from latching their basement doors.

I carry an extra latch, after having two of them break over the years. I dread the day that one breaks on the door of a compartment with no access from inside when the door is closed. I don't know how I'll get it open to repair.