Author Topic: Trace RC7/GS  (Read 3848 times)

Doug Neal

Trace RC7/GS
« on: March 23, 2016, 06:04:50 AM »
The battery % of charge display on my RC7/GS does not display the correct % of charge. I know this by using the inverter for several hours it may still read 100%. Sometime after using the inverter all night the generator will start after quiet time, run for 2-4 minutes then shut down. Checking the % of charge it will show 100% of charge. Previously after the inverter running all night the batts would show around 20-30 % charged. This is with the LBCO set to 11.8 % = 0.  The cut off charge to % has been set to 95 % I have replaced the coach batts recently and it seems like the display started to slowly drift out of calibration since then. However I am not positive of this. Could the problem be with the inverter. I am not sure of the brand, just that it is 2000 watts.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Trace RC7/GS
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 03:39:20 PM »
We had to replace our Xantrex Trace SW 2512 inverter this winter.  It's charging circuit became erratic and would not properly charge the House batteries up to 13v+.  Thus, the Big Boy/BIRD would not crossover the charging to the Chassis batteries.

When I was on the phone with a Xantrex techie in Burnaby, BC and a Xantrex engineer in California, they had me check the cables between the House battery bank and the inverter... thinking perhaps the cables had developed bad continuity.  If the House battery bank shows a voltage within a few tenths of a volt compared to the cables' attachment point on the inverter, then the cables are good.  Also, we checked the resistance through the major blade fuses.  They were okay.  In the end, both Xantrex guys opined that my inverter was probably bad.

If you want more details, then read about our experience messaged here on the forum - found here:  http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,5273.msg40050.html#msg40050
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Bill Sprague

Re: Trace RC7/GS
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 04:38:10 PM »
Doug,

I had pages of notes on that thing, but they went with the motorhome when we sold it. 

From (always weakening) memory, there is a setting for battery type.  Did you change battery types when you got new ones? 

Another thing I would try is to reseat the connections between the controller and the inverter.  If I remember right, they look like phone wire plugs.  They may have developed some resistance over time.

Bill