Author Topic: House Water Pump Replacement - Success!  (Read 4667 times)

Bruce Sieloff

House Water Pump Replacement - Success!
« on: May 12, 2016, 04:44:22 PM »
This post is for the non-technically gifted among us who would like to work on our own coaches but view repairs with some trepidation.
I recently had a house water pump failure that stranded me in a local RV park until I could make arrangements to get it repaired.
The pump had been noisy for some time and my sweetie mentioned several times (and reminded me often after it expired) that it was on it's last legs.
Sure enough my Aquajet 5503-4V15-B636 died and the direct replacement, as near as I could tell, was the Remco Aquajet ARV 5503-AV15-B636 RV Pump 5.3 GPM 12VDC.
Happily this turned out to be a direct plug and play replacement for the original, even the mounting holes matched up. 
I purchased the replacement from Freshwatersystems.com and had the pump in my hands in two days, from South Carolina to Utah, for $35 shipping. 
I have attached two pictures of the install, one of the old pump and one of the new pump installed, upside down like the original, with my cable tie modification that keeps the slip type retainers from falling open and letting the pipes leak (if installed right side up this would not be an issue).
Remco shipped two replacement inlet and outlet connectors with the pump but they were not necessary and did not fit any tighter than the originals.
I was having a good deal of anxiety about this installation, not believing that anything would be a direct replacement after 13 years, envisioning multiple trips to Camping World to re-plumb the system, but this was as easy as it gets.
I installed a male flag connector on two wires, plugged it in, hooked up the pipes and flipped the switch and Bingo! we had water. 

If you have the same pump on your coach and it is over 10 years old I can recommend this as a replacement, it runs at 85psi max rather than the 60 psi max of the original and runs much smoother and quieter.
It is rare to have a repair turn out this painless, but it sure beat paying $100 an hour and I saved $100 on the cost of replacement over a local source. If only the rest of my repair adventures turned out so well...
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: House Water Pump Replacement - Success!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 05:05:39 PM »
We had to replace our water pump this past winter while in Tucson.  In our case we chose to get a lower volume pump due to our experience while boondocking.  The old pump simply pumped too much water and would reduce our onboard fresh water resources too quickly.  And changing out the old pump took less time than driving roundtrip into Tucson to pickup the new pump.  I wish all maintenance jobs were so easy... some are, many aren't.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Dick Simonis

Re: House Water Pump Replacement - Success!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 07:11:32 PM »
Bruce, Just did the exact same thing with mine this year.  The pump developed a small lead at the head and wouldn't quite shut off.  Easy replacement and now I'm going to pull apart the old one and see if I can fix the leak.  Probably can't since repair parts are supposedly not available.