Author Topic: Runnig out of hot shower water  (Read 27963 times)

Bill Sprague

Re: Runnig out of hot shower water
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 05:24:26 PM »
The two will operate concurrently.  You can have on neither, one or the other, or both.  They have different thermostat settings so that they will not fight each other.  If both are turned to their ON setting, then the thermostat settings force them to cooperate with each other to heat water.
David,

On the "cheaper" and smaller HydroHots of the vintage in the '04 we had, there is only one thermostat.  It triggers both or either the electric or diesel.  They were not triggered separately.  Larger, more expensive AquaHots allowed you to leave both switches on and the diesel would "back up" the electric.  With the HydroHot, you pick one or both and they come on simultaneously.

It may be different on any of the several other HydroHots.   

Bill
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:33:58 PM by Bill Sprague »

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 05:48:16 PM »
With Mr. Hannan having a 2003 Marquis Ruby 40' I am assuming his coach is equipped with a system similar or identical to mine... an Aquahot AHE-100-02S.  Since he did not specify his equipment I can only assume it's similar to mine given our coaches' similar year and model.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 07:51:54 PM »
Michael, every once in a while ours quits for whatever reason.  Simply "rebooting" it by turning the diesel switch off for a minute and back on seems to reset everything.  If you've left yours on for a long time, you might try that.  But usually when ours needs a reset, the electric side is out also, so it may not fix whatever is wrong with yours.

As David suggests, even if for some reason you haven't been hearing the burner fire up and run, you can certainly sense it at its exhaust outside if it's operating properly.  If not, then whatever was serviced on it last was not done as a particularly complete job, something's gone awry since, or perhaps your mixing valve isn't up to snuff, letting relatively too much cold through;  but if it was the valve I'd expect even the electric side alone to be too cold even at the start of a shower. 

I assume because you are plugged into park power and your inverter is fine, that your recent battery issues are not involved with the ignition side;  still, if you haven't already, I would check the AquaHot's panel in its bay to make sure the LED lamps are all green, and that a low-voltage status from your battery switchout hasn't affected the ignition circuit.  "Rebooting" the system with the diesel switch as I described should rectify any faults there, but it won't likely fix a more serious problem with the burner itself or other causative agents.

-Joel
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:00:43 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Michael Hannan

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 12:22:33 AM »
With Mr. Hannan having a 2003 Marquis Ruby 40' I am assuming his coach is equipped with a system similar or identical to mine... an Aquahot AHE-100-02S.  Since he did not specify his equipment I can only assume it's similar to mine given our coaches' similar year and model.

Yes this is the model I have.  I'm reading the manual now. Mr. Hannan?  Have I upset you in some way David?

MJ
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 12:38:32 AM by Michael Hannan »

Michael Hannan

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 01:48:13 AM »
The first thing I would check is to make sure the diesel burner is actually running.  Turn off the electric water heater, turn on the diesel burner and now turn on the hot water at the outside water bay.  In a few minutes the diesel burner should start up and you will have hot exhaust coming out its exhaust pipe located just aft or under the outside water bay door.

If you don't get hot exhaust, then the diesel burner is not burning.

Ok I did that.  The diesel didn't kick in by itself.  I had to go and turn the Diesel Burner switch off then on.  The exhaust doesn't feel hot but there is hot water coming out of the faucet again with the electric side shut off at the breaker panel.  But it's not stay hot and the diesel shuts off after a couple of minutes.

MJ
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:59:13 AM by Michael Hannan »

Bill Sprague

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 04:02:36 AM »
My mistake David.  The topic started with a Monterey.  I didn't read well enough to pick up that Mr. Hannan has a Marquis.  Your's and his should work differently in a couple ways. 

One difference is that you should get a better shower on electric.  The coolant tank is big enough to store more heat energy so the shower won't cool it off as fast. 

Some Marquis also had two electric heating elements that could make a lot of difference in cooler weather.  The single HydroHot electric element could only keep the interior warm if outside air was above about 50 degrees. 

Bill Sprague

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 04:13:23 AM »
The first thing I would check is to make sure the diesel burner is actually running.  Turn off the electric water heater, turn on the diesel burner and now turn on the hot water at the outside water bay.  In a few minutes the diesel burner should start up and you will have hot exhaust coming out its exhaust pipe located just aft or under the outside water bay door.

Ok I did that.  The diesel didn't kick in by itself.  I had to go and turn the Diesel Burner switch off then on.  The exhaust doesn't feel hot but there is hot water coming out of the faucet again with the electric side shut off at the breaker panel.  But it's not stay hot and the diesel shuts off after a couple of minutes.

MJ
Michael,

The noise you heard when you flipped the diesel switch was it running through the starting cycle.  But, from what you say, the burner is not lighting.  If you don't see some initial smoke, feel a hot exhaust and smell diesel fumes, it didn't light. 

There is a series of trouble shooting steps and several reasons the diesel might not light.  First is to be sure there is more than 1/4 tank of fuel.  In my files I have a good trouble shooting guide written by Roger Berke that I can email you if it would help. 

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 05:40:49 AM »
Well, Mr. Hannan, my father taught me to mind my manners and respect my elders.  lol  I will be 67 on May 21, but have owned the Marquis almost four years... but (again) have been retired for just over 14 years.  My experience has been that most of the Beaver owners I have met are older than me... thus, my elders... like Mr. Sprague... although Mrs. Sprague is much younger than Mr. Sprague... and much, much cuter, I would add.

Anyway, it sounds like your diesel burner is not igniting if the Aquahot exhaust pipe is not smelling of diesel smoke and not hot..  That could be caused by a number of issues, or a combination of a number of issues.  Be that as it may be, I was in management most of my career.  I will let the more experienced Beaver troubleshooters carry the ball from here.

Michael Hannan

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 06:16:20 AM »

MJ
Michael,

The noise you heard when you flipped the diesel switch was it running through the starting cycle.  But, from what you say, the burner is not lighting.  If you don't see some initial smoke, feel a hot exhaust and smell diesel fumes, it didn't light. 

There is a series of trouble shooting steps and several reasons the diesel might not light.  First is to be sure there is more than 1/4 tank of fuel.  In my files I have a good trouble shooting guide written by Roger Berke that I can email you if it would help.

I have just over 1/4 tank depending how accurate the gauge is.  Yes please send the trouble shooting guide.

Thanks
MJ

**Michael, I deleted your e mail, per Bills suggestion.  Your e mail is easily found by our members in the directory!  Cheers!  Carol Moffett, moderator.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:10:56 PM by Carol Moffett »

Michael Hannan

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 06:26:35 AM »
Well, Mr. Hannan, my father taught me to mind my manners and respect my elders.  lol  I will be 67 on May 21, but have owned the Marquis almost four years... but (again) have been retired for just over 14 years.  My experience has been that most of the Beaver owners I have met are older than me... thus, my elders... like Mr. Sprague... although Mrs. Sprague is much younger than Mr. Sprague... and much, much cuter, I would add.

Anyway, it sounds like your diesel burner is not igniting if the Aquahot exhaust pipe is not smelling of diesel smoke and not hot..  That could be caused by a number of issues, or a combination of a number of issues.  Be that as it may be, I was in management most of my career.  I will let the more experienced Beaver troubleshooters carry the ball from here.

I'm not so eld. LOL  62 later this year. I'll check out the the trouble shooting guide from Mr Sprague and see if I can get this sorted out.  Thanks.
MJ

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 06:47:35 AM »
Michael, it isn't unheard of that the factory didn't place the genset and/or hydronic fuel pickup tubes properly in the tank.  If that's the case in your instance, the hydronics fuel tube is higher than the 25% point, and your gauge is admittedly imprecise, the fix may be as simple as fueling up.  Afterward, it may take a few start attempts for a dry fuel line and pump to prime and get diesel to the burner.

It's best practice to not let the fuel level drop much below 50% before looking for a diesel station anyway.  I once ran dry half way up a slight Oregon Coast hwy. grade in our old gas motorhome, because the gauge led me to believe I still had a quarter tank.  The resulting hassle taught me the half-full-and-fill habit. Plus, not letting the tank languish near empty helps minimize water condensation on the inner tank walls during cool nights.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Sprague

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 05:29:14 AM »
Well, Mr. Hannan, my father taught me to mind my manners and respect my elders.  lol  I will be 67 on May 21...... thus, my elders... like Mr. Sprague... although Mrs. Sprague is much younger than Mr. Sprague... and much, much cuter, I would add.....
I hit 70 this summer!  And, I'm glad that earns your respect.  I need all I can get now that we're camping in something small enough to be your "toad". 

Bill

Bill Sprague

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 05:36:04 AM »

I have just over 1/4 tank depending how accurate the gauge is.  Yes please send the trouble shooting guide.

Thanks
MJ

Michael,

You might want to try to edit this to remove your email address.   It is supposed to be a bad idea to post it in public forums.  I could have found it in the relatively private BAC directory.

I'll send you the guide written by Roger Burke and a copy of the the Hydro Hot manual I have.  I'm pretty sure you can get a manual to match your model of AquaHot at the AquaHot website. 

Before you do any serious trouble shooting, put some fuel in it!

Bill

Bill

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member

Richard LaLande

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2016, 12:26:04 AM »
I must say this is a place I need to visit every day, LOL