Author Topic: Rotating Tires?  (Read 4141 times)

Kathy Hood

Rotating Tires?
« on: May 12, 2016, 05:14:01 PM »
What is the feeling about rotating the tires on the Beavers?  Should it be done?  Where do you get it done?  Thanks.

Roy C Tyler

Re: Rotating Tires?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 10:36:37 PM »
I feel that since I replace my tires every seven years, I never get enough miles and wear on them to worry about rotation.  They seem to look like new when I remove them but, then again, I am not a full timer and only put a few thousand miles on them each year.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 11:01:51 PM »
Kathy,
Tire rotation on a Beaver is rarely done because the cost is not justified except on rare occasions. One the vast majority of Beaver coaches, the tires never wear out, they age out, and are replaced because of age and not wear.

There is also the problem with rotating tires where all of your wheels are not the same. A large number of coaches have a steel wheel for the inner wheel on the drive axle, and on a lot of coaches the aluminum wheels are polished on just one side, so a tire rotation would require dismounting, remounting, and rebalancing.

Since you did not say what coach you have, I do not know if this will effect you, but on some coaches with a tag axle, the tag axle and front tires are swapped if a wear condition on the fronts develops like the infamous Goodyear channeling and cupping. This will allow you to run the tires long enough for them to age out without having to put up with the noise.

Gerald     

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 12:29:27 AM »
Hi Kathy,

I really agree with Gerald on this one although if I have a bad front I have move this to the tag and change both fronts, this will allow to to change some tires and the hit is not as bad.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Kathy Hood

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 03:05:26 PM »
Thank you for the info.  Ours is a 1999 Monterey.  While not full timers, we have done a couple of 5000 plus mile trips and want to keep up the coach.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 04:40:59 PM »
Kathy,
Under your conditions, tire rotation would not be advisable. Check the date codes on your tires, and you will find that it is highly probable that your tires will age out long before tire rotation would be beneficial.

By far, the most important tire that you can perform on you coach is to keep the tires inflated to the proper inflation, and I am not talking about the air pressure readings on the factory tire placard. If you are not sure what your coach weighs loaded the way you travel, weigh it at each individual wheel and set the air pressure by that weight.

Gerald     

Gerald