Author Topic: Where To Get Towing Brackects Installed  (Read 8168 times)

Norm Green

• BAC Member
Where To Get Towing Brackects Installed
« on: May 17, 2016, 04:52:26 AM »
We recently purchased a 2016 MKX front wheel drive vehicle and will be towing it behind the coach.  I have been having a hard time identifying a company in the Nashville area that has experience in doing an installation of the tow brackets.  Several folks have said the can do it but have no experience.  I'm especially concerned having just anyone take off body panels on my new car.  I presently have a Blue Ox tow bar, several years old, but willing to go back to a Roadmaster.  Camping World seems to be my only choice here and I'm not excited about taking it in to them.  I'm will to take the car outside the Nashville area if need be.  Anyone have any suggestions?
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Where To Get Towing Brackects Installed
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 06:22:11 AM »
Norm,
Check out http://www.rvservicereviews.com/
There appear to be a number of possibilities (and CW isn't one of them).
Good Luck, Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 07:19:14 AM »

Call Roadmaster (or Blue Ox) and ask for a known competent installer in your area.  800-669-9690

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Doug Allman

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 04:12:48 PM »
When I had mine installed along with the wiring for the air force braking system they had to get thru the fire wall of my new F-150. In doing so they broke 4 wires in the harness. After two days at Ford and $1130.00 it was road worthy again.  Ford had to remove seat and dash to get at wiring.

We first noticed a problem when I could back out of the service bay with the truck but could not go forward in any gear. Had to trailer truck to Ford.

Find a source that knows what they are doing. I thought I did as I have worked with them many times. If nothing else get a source that can and will take care of any damage they possibly do and make sure you note that when you take it to them. (Mine did take care of because I have worked and known them for a lot of years.)

We used to always trailer our Lincolns as they were all wheel drive. Got very tired of trailering so wife said get me a truck, which the 2015 F-150 Platinum is same cost as a Lincoln now, and it is a pleasure to hook up and tow. Also carry same people in crew cab with alot of cargo in truck bed for numerous items wanted/needed in our travels. Gets about same mileage as the Navigatoror MKX or MKZ.

Dan Murphy

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 06:09:53 PM »
Norm
When we bought our 2015 Ford Edge we took it to a local trailer shop and they installed the baseplate but could not get the wiring correct. I didn't have turn signals on the toad. I had brake lights  and tail lights but no turn signals. Since the Beaver is so much higher and it has very visible turn signals we have been towing without turn signals on the toad until I can find someone who can fix it or just use portable lights maybe.

I have been on the iRV2 forum and there were other owners of the Ford Edge with a similar problem and they referred me to Buddy Gregg RV in Knoxville Tn. They said there were good techs there that solved the problem of no turn lights.
I know Knoxville is not close to you in Nashville but here are nice parks around Knoxville  to stay in and maybe you could take a trip across I-40 if they can get you fixed up.Might be worth a call.

Harold and Gloria Skipworth

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 01:19:21 AM »
I purchased a 2013 mkx in December 2015 and got the selling dealer to order and install the brackets.  Then used an authorized SMI shop to install the air force one braking and a non invasive tail light  controller.  Couldn't be happier, good luck with yours.

Harold

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 03:22:30 PM »
Norm,
My Dad's shop in Nashville is an authorized Blue Ox installer. They can help you. Link Automotive on Lebanon Road 615-256-3060. They install base plates and do complete toad wiring.
Steven Link
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 02:14:15 AM »
An update, I stopped by Link's and confirmed they can install a Blue Ox baseplate for me, however, I have found out that the Blue Ox does not accommodate a 2016 Lincoln MKX that has active cruise control nor active shutters (a front grill function).  I'm interested in what tow bracket others are using for their MKX or Ford similar tow vehicle?
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 04:29:09 PM »
We are using Roadmaster on our 2014 MKX which was transferred from 2007 Jeep GC
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp