Author Topic: Fire in motorhome ( extra lucky )  (Read 18283 times)

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Fire in motorhome ( extra lucky )
« on: May 20, 2016, 05:26:10 AM »
This afternoon our neighbor called us ( we were about 3 blocks from motorhome at friends ).
Neighbor said we had smoke coming from out electric cord opening. Called fire Dept.and ran
to motorhome. At motorhome could see lot black smoke and orange glow inside of door that the
electric cord comes out from. Using a 20# fire ext.into the opening it seem to down the fire
and fire dept. just about there. Fire dept. now has fire out and the fire just started to break into
cabinet under sink by bathroom. Fire Dept. said fire started in a electric junction box and plywood
that junction box fasten to. Fire dept removed the cover on the junction box and found the inside
metal from electric plastic fastener that was the hot wire coming from power pedestal grounded
to the metal junction box and metal grounding got box very hot and plywood caught on fire.
I think that is correct because all the wires we melted and passing on what they told us. The
fire damage could have been total if not quick actions near by neighbor. The electric bay has
Aluminum sheet on the inside of compartment but not on the top or one end and this where fire
broke into the inside. Electrician Conformed electric junction wiring shorted. and seem to think
Heavy use of Air conditioning added to the cause. Again we were very close to losing motorhome.
Dave and Pat Atherton
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Keith Moffett, Jerry Emert

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Fire in motorhome ( extra lucky )
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 05:33:42 AM »
So sorry to hear the bad news. So glad the neighbor had a keen eye and got a hold of you quickly!

Glad you are both ok and that the MH can be repaired.

Had to be a very, very scary time.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Bob Jae

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 05:36:36 AM »
Sorry for your fire but glad to hear that you are safe and still have your home.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 06:00:19 AM »
Dave
We are so thankful you are both ok.  I note you dont say what coach you have.  That would help us visualize your damage and how it might be avoided in other coaches.
I dont know where you are but you can contact me if you need any help.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 06:04:24 AM by Keith Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 07:25:00 AM »
Keith, we downsized 4 years ago from a Monaco Dipomat to a 24 foot class C Winnebago
Navion Diesel with 16 foot slide. Different from the Monaco with 50 amp service to 30 amp
we now have with the Winnebago. The man that came out after the fire dept looking at the
wiring seem to think the draw on the air conditioner and connection of what called plastic
wire fasteners making a ground to junction box could have worked loose. The metal junction
box where wiring shorted would have been ok but the plywood holding junction box in place
started on fire, I guess they said wires shorted and welded to box the metal being hot set
plywood on fire. Fire Dept said fire shorted in the wiring inside of metal box. We have our MCI
Bus we will be using to live in and see what insurance adjuster has to say. Do not think damage
Looks to bad but I'm not a insurance adjuster. Dave

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 09:19:29 AM »
Glad you are set for now and keep us updated.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dan Murphy

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 12:45:44 PM »
Dave, we are so thankful you and Pat are ok and the fire was not more damaging.

Doug Allman

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 01:27:15 PM »
Dave & Pat
If you need anything you let us know and we will find a way to get it to you. Thank the Lord you are safe and hopefully just a short way from being back to normal again.

When I first read the post I did not even look at the name and when I did look at name I had a hard time registering it was your unit that was on fire. It still amazes me it was yours.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 02:01:58 PM »
Dave,

So happy that this was not worse. Hard to consider someone being very lucky when it comes to having a fire, but so many good things fell into place to get this all stopped quickly. You are right....extra lucky. I know there will be a plate over that box in the repair.

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 03:14:24 PM »
Dave,
Sorry to hear about your fire but glad it wasn't worse. Not sure but I think an Surge Protector would have sensed the situation (assuming it started drawing high neutral current) and shut off the power. Hope you have good luck with the Ins. Co.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 03:14:45 PM »
Sorry to hear about the fire Dave but glad to hear that you are both safe.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bill Sprague

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 05:06:17 PM »
Dave,

I had a house fire once.  They are terrible.  I feel sorry for you but, glad no humans or pets were hurt. 

FWIW, I found a couple loose connections in our Monterey when it was new. 

I could never figure out why, but apparently the RVIA code allows for stick house "wire nuts" to be used even though it is a vibrating vehicle.  I'm not sure, but I think the RVIA wanted additional electrician's tape to be wrapped around the wire nut. 

I like to joke that two people built our Monterey.  One was called "Ham Fist" and the other was called "Weak Wrist".  "Ham" over torqued fasteners to where they stripped threads or broke.  Lots of screws were rendered useless.  "Weak" never got anything tight.  Nobody named "Normal" was ever issued a screw driver.

Apparently, it was Weak that installed the A/C units.  The wire nuts in the J-boxes behind the filters in the ceiling were loose.  On top of that, the electrician's tape was wrapped around the nuts seemingly backwards.  The elastic stretch of the tape was unscrewing the already loose wire nut! 

Over time, I opened all the J-boxes and checked behind outlets and fixtures to ensure "tightness".

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 09:32:45 PM »
Dave, I'm glad you and family, furry too, are OK!!!  I hope the insurance takes care of it the way they should!
Bill, how do you even get in where the elec. hose real is?  I'm afraid to even think about it that going bad!
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Richard LaLande

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 10:39:20 PM »
wow, so glad no one was hurt...  :o

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 11:05:44 PM »
Motorhome fire update, Insurance adjuster will be here monday. Thanks guys for the come
back, settled down some what but still in disdelief  but it is still standing. This wiring thing
really spooks me. But when I stop and think about that thought, looking under dash of many
motorhomes ( 12 volt ) is just a big ball of wires, but the 110 wiring does not enter a person
mind. When we travel the LP Gas is always turned to off, tires checked for correct air pressure,
on board fire ext. I carry a 10# dry power in outside bay on passenger side and a 20# dry
power in my car we tow, first aid kit. Never gave a thought being parked having a fire and
wiring of all things. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic