Author Topic: Power Cable Cord  (Read 5507 times)

David Parham

Power Cable Cord
« on: August 21, 2010, 04:59:45 PM »
In the water bay of my 2000 Patriot there is a Power Cable Cord. The cord has a male connection and I can't figure out what it was originally intended for. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

LEAH DRAPER

Re: Power Cable Cord
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 01:52:29 AM »
On my 99 Pat Thunder in water bay there was a Coax TV cable on a power reel.  Could that be it?

David Parham

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 03:33:31 PM »
Yes, it is a cable TV cord. I just could not understand why it was where it is. It is not very often that you would see a TV hooked up on the street side of the coach and especially not near the water and sewer hookups. I guess you could run it under the coach to the other side. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 03:44:33 PM »
This cord is to feed in cable TV signal. If you connect it to a campground cable TV system and do not turn on the press button amp for the rooftop TV antenna it will default connect the coach antenna cable system to this exterior cord to bring in TV cable channels to the coach.

later Ed

David Parham

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 10:28:48 PM »
Thank you very much.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 11:56:41 PM »
Ed's right, the park TV hookup for our coach is in the street-side service bay with all the other utilities, as it is with most rigs, including trailers and 5th wheels.  The cable you're seeing is for bringing a campground's TV service into your coach.

I bought a $25 reel to hold 20-30 feet of coax, made aluminum mounting adapters to fit, and mounted it in the utility bay.  One end of its coax connects to the bay's TV fitting, and the reel neatly stores the cable out of the way.  I just pull what I need off the reel and through the water or sewer hose holes in the utility bay floor to reach the campground's TV fitting, and reel it back up when breaking camp.  No more dealing with and storing a tangled mess of coax.

When you said "Power Cable Cord", and it had a "male connection", I thought you meant some sort of electric cord.

By the way, coax cable should never have more than a 3 inch diameter curve put in it, or you risk damaging the conductors inside, so keep that in mind when storing or using it.  

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat