Author Topic: Aqua Hot  (Read 5142 times)

David Fischer

Aqua Hot
« on: August 22, 2010, 01:36:37 PM »
Good morning:  it is 8:30 here in the east and while laying in bed with the air-conditioning on, and  I noticed that I was getting warmer.  I walked around the bed to the driver side and it was almost hot on my feet.  I quickly went to the Aqua Hot bay and it was hot in there.  It never has been that hot.  I turned off the Aqua Hot immediately.  I wonder if the thermostat may be acting up.  Can anyone give me some idea what to do.  It is Sunday and nowhere to go for help.
Oh, my coach is a 97 Marquis with the unit sitting in the very back bay on the driver site.  Very accessible
Thanks
David Fischer
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 11:38:15 PM by 14 »

Edward Buker

Re: Aqua Hot
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 04:00:50 PM »
David,

It will get very warm in the aqua hot compartment. The unit will heat to 180 degrees or so and how much heat depletes from the compartment will be a function of outside air temp, air movement, and vent area. The vent area is small, and it sounds like air movement and outside temp are not helping much.

A good indicator of this systems proper operation is the expansion tank. If you are not above the high mark and the burner has shut off then that would indicate that the fluid is at a proper temperature. You could check the load panel for AC amps and see if the electric element is turning off properly. Lastly, I own an inexpensive IR gun ($50)
and I can point it at the metal pipe just under the radiator cap and read the temps. That would provide real data and 165 to 180 degrees would be normal for that location.

Obviously if one of the heating systems is not shutting down or if the expansion tank is beyond its high mark then have the system checked out. If not, turn it back on and get hold of an IR gun and take some readings to calm your nerves. Hope this helps.

Regards Ed

David Fischer

Re: Aqua Hot
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 04:17:38 PM »
I did not mention that I am on 50 amp service, and the burner has not come on at all, as there is no need to in this heat.  I did check the expansion tank and no problem there.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 11:41:43 PM by 14 »