Author Topic: Beaver Models  (Read 16788 times)

Brad Burgess

Beaver Models
« on: June 05, 2016, 05:44:40 PM »
Hello All

We are again looking to purchase another coach.  Where does the santiam model fit in the hierarchy?

Thanks,

Brad Burgess

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Beaver Models
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 05:47:04 PM »
Don't forget to check out the ones here on the forum that are for sale, just a heads up!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Doug Allman

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 06:39:19 PM »
Until someone that knows more about the Beaver Hierarchy answers your question the Santiam I believe is their downline or entry coach.

Peter and Connie Bradish

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 07:16:32 PM »
See the brochures for the Santiam at:

https://sites.google.com/site/beavermotorhomehistory/home

2002 was the first year of production. I only have one page on the colors. Santiam was the entry level.
The first brochure I have for the Santiam is in 2003. That year the Baron was the entry level Beaver just below the Santiam.
2004, 2005 the Santiam was the entry level model and I have copies of the brochures on the site.
NADA does not list production for a Santiam after 2005. And I have no brochures for a Santiam after 2005.
Hope this helps.
Connie B.

Larry Williams

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 09:58:44 PM »
The Santiam was a Monaco product. Monaco owned Beaver then and made most of the Beavers first in Bend, then later in Coberg. The Santiam was made at the Monaco Holiday Rambler plant in Indiana. So when I was shopping for my Beaver the salesman at BCS said "the Santiam is not a real Beaver". He was joking of course, but Beaver purists still say that.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 10:39:24 PM »
Brad - I did a search using 'beaver sale" and found many coaches here on the Forum.  I would expect several or most listings from early 2015 and prior to have sold, but there are several recent and interesting listings.  Two of the more recent coaches for sale are Mr. Buker's and Mrs. Hale's coaches.  Since I know both owners, I would suggest you at least take a look those two.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 03:56:36 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Brad Burgess

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 10:28:14 PM »
Thanks to all who have responded.  I actually had previously emailed back and forth with Ed Buker.  His coach is amazing and I found it to be very interesting.  Ms. Hale has sold her coach, I believe.  I have owned four coaches: two brand new, an 07 Contessa and an 08 Country Coach Intrigue; and two used coaches: an 03 Monterey, now owned by another BAC member , and an 06 Monterey.  I sold the Intrigue and both Montereys myself on RVT.com.  Having consummated three sales over a period of five years I feel that I have somewhat of a handle on the marketplace.  Both of the used Montereys that I sold had been dramatically upgraded by me and I had hoped to recoup those costs.  I did so partially on the 06 but not on the 03.  Having been a seller four times (and a buyer as well) I understand initial asking prices and the ultimate reality of the market.  Given my foray into new units I also deeply understand depreciation!  I now also know what has to be done to ten plus year old coaches (not aimed at you, Ed) to make them safe, drivable and, for us, livable (rubber and plastic do not do well after such a time period.)  I do not desire to "steal" a coach.  But I know the realities of older units and must make allowances for upgrades and repairs.  The most well maintained unit cannot escape the ravages of time.

Doug Allmän has contacted me with a lead privately and it looks like it could have some possibilities - thank you Doug.

Again, thank you all - I will keep you posted on my quest.

Brad Burgess

Doug Allman

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 10:32:28 PM »
Is there a listing from top of line to bottom in order that gives all the coach model names so one can know where they fit in. I believe Marquis and Contessa were in the 80's and early 90's the only two models made. Am I correct? I am not sure if Beaver ever made another model series or if Safari and Monaco introduced the other models.  Some astute history individual here should have this info please.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 10:36:07 PM »
error
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 04:02:05 AM by LaMonte Monnell »
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 11:02:00 PM »
Doug,
The top of the line to entry level coach will vary by model year. So it depends on what year you want the line-up for. The Marquis was not always the top line coach just as the Monterey was not always the entry level coach for Beaver.

Gerald 

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 12:23:05 AM »
Doug,
If you go to http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2001/Beaver you can select the year and the NADA site will produce a list of the Beaver Coaches for that year. As to price or standing in line up , the coach length is a good indicator as well as base price. Generally the ratings run (starting on top) Solitare (only few made), Marquis, Patriot, Contessa/Monterey, Santiam & Baron/Baronette. There is also a wealth of info at http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,437.0.html.  The video list in the members Only board contains Mandy's presentation of Beaver History which is very informative.
Steve
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:26:26 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Peter and Connie Bradish

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 12:45:55 AM »
To Doug Allman,

To answer your question, no, the Marquis and Contessa were not the only models made in the 1980s or 1990s.
 Probably the easiest way to see what was made each year is to go to the NADA book, older recreation vehicle appraisal guide, and look at each year.
 While production numbers are not given, what is given are model choices, lengths, layout choices and original retail prices.

For example in 1993 under the original company,
 Most expensive (approx $360,000) was the Grand Marquis in layouts of brunswick, custom, excelsior, florentine, jubilee, orlov, regent, tiffany
 Then Marquis (approx $337,000) was the Marquis in brunswick, excelsior, florentine, jubilee, orlov, regent, tiffany
 Next was the Contessa (approx $270 000 to $295,000) in coronet, savoy, calesse, signet, brittany, normandy, orleans
 Next the Baronet (approx $190,000 to $198 000)  in ormond, rothesay, windsor, chelsea, somerset
 Entry level the Patriot (approx $162,000 to $193,000) in charleston, savannah, concord, saratoga, trenton, lexington

Just the next year (1994) with the take over by SMC after the bankruptcy,
 Most expensive was the Grand Marquis ($375,000 to $380,000) in layouts of custom, cypress, fraser, rushmore, sedona, sierra.
 Then the Marquis (approx $304,000 to $365,000) in cascade, columbia, cypress, fraser, rushmore, sedona. sierra
 Next was the Acclaim, SMC's version of the Contessa with a bus front, (approx $272,000 to $280,000) in logan, rainier, whitney, everest, mckinley
 Entry level the Patriot (approx $168,000 to $198,000) in charleston, savannah, concord, saratoga, trenton, lexington

Each year had a variety of model choices and layout choices.
 And as you can see by the prices, Beavers were very definitely expensive and were considered among the high line coaches.
 Hope this helps,
 Connie Bradish