Author Topic: Power Steering  (Read 4334 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Power Steering
« on: June 08, 2016, 02:59:47 AM »
My steering started pulling/twitching a little on slow speed turns, like going into a parking lot or turning tight in the parking lot.  Would check fluid in a car.  How the heck do I do that in the beaver, there is no power steering pump I can see.  When I searched the old posts my problem doesn't seem that extreme and it just started.  The big hydraulic tank on Passenger side rear is where the fluid would be if other posts also apply to my PT.  Do I just fill it with Trans fluid?
Any ideas?
Thanks Jerry.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Power Steering
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 03:18:54 AM »
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 04:40:40 AM »
Mostly Greek to me Steve!  I did see that thread and I will check the hoses best I can in the morning for kinks.  Like I said new problem just started so I'm guessing that all those pressures have been good and should still be unless something broke.  This is not a strong , snatch it out of your hand kind of jerking.  It is noticeable but very slight and not hard to control. 
Next problem would be to find someone with the skills, where I am, without making me wait for 3 weeks for an appointment.  Old hat for you guys but very new territory for me.
I will try topping off the fluid and disengaging the Jake brake when slow speed maneuvering to see what happens.  My Jake is always on when traveling because I need it to have cruise control working.

Where is the Hydraulic oil cooler and what does it look like?
Thanks again and sorry for the non-mechanic type questions.  I'm trying to figure this stuff out before something important falls off!
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 01:23:43 PM »
Jerry,

This can happen at idle with low fluid output from the pump while the hydraulic fan is on also needing hydraulic pressure and you are also turning. The fluid is in that rear container and if the fluid is at proper level there is no further action required. It uses dexron transmission fluid. It is a design constraint that you live with. If you up the rpm slightly it should disappear.

Later Ed

The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert