Author Topic: Which Roadmaster Chassis? (M or S Series) (KONI FSD Shocks)  (Read 7610 times)

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
We own a 2004 Beaver Marquis (Garnet) with Tag Axle.  We are in need of new shocks and research leads me to conclude that I should probably get KONI FSD's.  This is all good except it looks like KONI FSD's are available for the Roadmaster S-series chassis but not the M-Series Roadmaster.  Beaver literature indicates the chassis to be a Roadmaster M-Series.

I read at least one post that indicates the M-Series was a Beaver designation as a carryover from the Magnum chassis and that it is actually a Roadmaster S-Series.

So my questions....

- Have you installed KONI FSD's shocks on your coach?  If so were they worth the extra $?  Seams they are about double the cost of Bilstiein's.
- If KONI does not have FSD's available for my coach... should I stick with Bixstein's or look at something else?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Rick V
2004 Beaver Marquis, Garnet (3 slides)
43'
C12

Tic Wilson

Re: Which Roadmaster Chassis? (M or S Series) (KONI FSD Shocks)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 04:14:39 PM »
We have an 05 Monterey, built in late 04.  I installed Konis without any issues.  Konis are double acting, Bilsteins only act in one direction.  Konis made the ride firmer, but not harsh.  I would not go back to Bilsteins.  I also installed one pair of Road Kings on the rear.  Sorry, I cannot answer your question on roadmaster chassis differences.

steve zannella

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 05:18:51 PM »
Rick

We have the same coach, and we needed new shocks because of excessive porpoising over california bridges with the stock bilsteins.  I tried to install Koni FSDs made for the roadmaster s chassis and they would not fit, the upper eye bolts were too small. So I installed the Koni adjustable made for the roadmaster m chassis. Even they had to be modified because the upper front shock mounts were too narrow. We had to cut the top shock shroud to make then fit.

Overall we are happy with the koni's as they helped reduce porpoising and provide a comfortable ride. The adjustment rate on the koni's was half way between max and min.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 07:25:26 PM »
I believe our '06 Monterey is an M chassis.  Henderson's in Grants Pass put Koni FSD's on it last fall.  They are chassis experts of some repute.  I'm sure Robert Henderson would be glad to advise you on the proper shock if you gave him a buzz.  (541) 955-0769

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Doug Allman

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 01:03:14 PM »
We have the 2004 Marquis and replaced the Bilsteins with Koni's. As Steve said it stopped the porpoising and gave a much smoother ride. Had Koni's on our 1991 Contessa and tried one otheer brand and went right back to the Koni's as they handle these coach's the best.
I purchased mine online from some outfit out of San Diego Ca. Do not know if they are still selling them.
When they arrived for our Marquis the one mount hole was 5/8" and needed to be 3/4". Called Koni, I believe they are in Kentucky Headquarters for US, and they indicated there was a set that fit our coach with correct hole size but that we could go ahead and drill our hole and they would perform fine. We did drill out hole and they never turned in the rubber mount, using a sharp bit.

Yes, they cost more, but they will give you the best handling and ride.

Bryan Schmidt

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 03:57:36 AM »
Rick,

We have a 05 Monterey, only 36' long, and the original brochure says it was a R8S chassis.  I did find online (so far) a original brochure for a 2004 Monterey that says it was a R8M chassis.  I'll keep searching for a 2004 Santiam for you later tonight...    A call to BCS might provide some exact chassis type insight also since they were the orig factory store when your 2004 rolled off the Beaver line.

We also had the Konis installed at Hedersons in Grants Pass, OR after doing their Perfromance Road Assessment (RPA) last year,  which in the end, greatly reduced coach overall porpoising. 

DW was to the point of talking about selling the Beaver last spring since she and kitties were "seasick" of the rock and roll in our 05.   The Konis helped us greatly in that respect.  Would new Blisteins have been better than 10 yrs old Blistiens?  Probabally, but for the extra cash for the Konis, and considering that it that it is basically impossible to compare new Blistliens to new Konis on an old coach, unless you want buy both and "try them out", I specifically error'd on the extra cost side of the Konis to make sure that the DW got off the "sell this damm Beaver" last year.. 
2005 Montrery 36' Ventura IV
Cat C9
Towing a Pathfinder
Navigated by 2 cats