Author Topic: Entry steps issue and a genset Onan7500 QD issue  (Read 4864 times)

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Entry steps issue and a genset Onan7500 QD issue
« on: July 02, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »
Hi all, We just arrived home Thursday from a 12 day trip. The last day we drove in the rain most of the way. When we arrived home the entry steps were acting up, they were opening ok but the motor keeps running for a bit after the steps open. Also a different scene when closing. Could it just be a water soaked motor causing this?

Also we were using the roof air with the genset on during our drive home. The genset shut down, so I waited a bit and started it back up, did fine for about an hour then shut down again. When I stopped for diesel I checked the water and the oil, water good but oil was a minor bit low, so I filled up. Now it seems ok again........I only put about 1/8 of a qt in. Fuel was never below 1/2 tank. Will that small amount of oil usage cause a shutdown?
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Entry steps issue and a genset Onan7500 QD issue
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 03:45:43 PM »
Re: steps.  Isn't there a switch that tells the motor when the step is fully extended and another switch when fully retracted?

Re: generator.  No error code on shutdown?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 05:49:27 PM »
Re: steps.  Isn't there a switch that tells the motor when the step is fully extended and another switch when fully retracted?

Re: generator.  No error code on shutdown?

The steps lower fine but the motor seems to keep running for a few seconds longer than before.

No genset codes on shutdown. I checked the oil and coolant again this am (ok)and ran it for over an hour with both airs on...now it seems to be fine....?
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
CAT 3126B

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Bob Jae

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 06:55:59 PM »
You mentioned getting fuel.  Were you down anywhere near 1/4 of a tank.  My generator will shut off on a turn or hill when the diesel gets low.  Then I can start it again once on the straight and level again.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 09:59:22 PM »
Another reason I try not to go below half a tank unless I have no other options.

Possibly road debris or a rock is jamming your step mechanism, LaMonte;  you might take a gander under there.  If it couldn't extend all the way, the auto on/off switch would allow the motor to run, perhaps for only just a bit if the obstruction could move slightly under pressure from the arms or if it was compressible debris.

Just speculating...
Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 02:51:06 PM »
You mentioned getting fuel.  Were you down anywhere near 1/4 of a tank.  My generator will shut off on a turn or hill when the diesel gets low.  Then I can start it again once on the straight and level again.

Fuel was above 1/2 at the time. driving in rain all day though. I heard from someone that maybe the harness connection may have got wet. I tried the steps yesterday again and they worked correct for about three cycles, then the fourth time the motor kept running after the steps were extended and they didn't retract all the way. Going to get a better look today from behind with a light.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
CAT 3126B

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 03:58:47 PM »
La Monte,

Water will do funny things. You can dry out connections with a heat gun on low or a hair dryer if you find a culprit. When dry spray with corrosion X will help in the future. It is conceivable that a fan belt may have been slipping that cool the generator when it was wet.

Later Ed

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 04:59:32 PM »
Just replaced our step motor because it was running after it was out . Then when in and then finally had to disconnect the motor harness. Cheapest price was from E-trailer .com. $127.95
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9
The following users thanked this post: John Bagwell