Author Topic: Water Leak from Hurricane/Water Heater Bay  (Read 8639 times)

JimNCheryl Domenoe

Water Leak from Hurricane/Water Heater Bay
« on: June 20, 2016, 08:37:09 PM »
I have had water leaking through the area beneath the bay that houses the Hurricane system and water heater.  It is cold water and it is dripping out the inspection cover on the bottom of the bay, and around the exhaust pipe for the Hurricane.  I can't get this cover off to look in to the bottom of the Hurricane because of the exhaust pipe fittings being rusted together.  I am currently on city water. 

I removed the front cover to inspect the heating units and all of the hoses and fitting are not leaking.  The leak appears to be from the underside of the Hurricane.  Without removing the Hurricane unit, does anyone know what could be on the underside that is leaking?  By looking at the diagrams of the unit, there doesn't seem to be anything there that would be leaking.

It has been going on for a few days and has not gotten any worse as of yet. I am not willing or able to remove the Hurricane myself so I would have to have the work done by a repair shop. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Ron Johnson

Re: Water Leak from Hurricane/Water Heater Bay
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 09:15:14 PM »
Most times this has happened to my rig it has been loosened hose clamps on the heat exchanger or on the hot water heater. One time it turned out to be a leak in the hot water heater tank. In my setup the hot water heater is located immediately above the Hurricane. Good luck! 

Greg Kamper

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 10:39:37 PM »
I had three different leaks at three different times. The first was the coiled heat exchanger, the second was the seaward electric water heater. It was corroded through the tank. The last time was much easier, and cheaper to fix... It was the fitting going into the new seaward water heater. I re-used the plastic fitting and it started to drip, but it was so slow I didn't see where it was coming from until I took off the front sheet metal cover.

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 11:23:21 PM »
I have checked the Seaward and there is no water coming from it.  The heater and the shelf it is attached to are completely dry.  The water is only on the floor beneath the Hurricane.  Unless there is water coming from some other area, I can't see anything in the bay that is leaking.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 01:52:03 AM »
Jim,
There is no fresh water in your Hurricane heater. The Hurricane heater heats an antifreeze solution and circulates it to a separate heat exchanger and your Seaward water heater to heat your domestic water supply. Your fresh water leak is not in the Hurricane heater, so I see no reason that you need to remove it to repair your leak.

Gerald

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 03:38:59 AM »
OK, thanks Gerald.  I will continue my search for the source of the water. 

Greg Kamper

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 06:00:23 PM »
Did you check the heat exchanger? Mine was leaking and I had to replace it.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 09:07:09 PM »
Check the water heater above the hurricane for the leak.

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 09:51:52 PM »
I checked thoroughly and cannot find the source. It only happens when I am on city water, and then it is not consistent. I stayed in on park for three days after this was posted and no leaking occurred. The next place I stayed it started leaking again.

The exchangers are dry as is the Seaward heater and the shelf it is mounted on. All of the hoses and fittings are dry as well.

I have since discovered a water tank leak, so I need to deal with that now.  This leak just started yesterday, so it does not appear to be related.

Water has not been my friend.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 10:38:47 PM »
Jim,
Sounds like it is a pressure related leak; only occurs when water pressure is high. City water pressure can and does vary which may explain the intermitancy. You might want to try turning off the  city water and opening a faucet(s) to run your water pump for a prolonged period to see if it starts to leak. If so, you've got a way to look for it when the problem is happening.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 11:09:46 PM »
Thanks Steve. I will try that to see if it might work. I know the water inlet valve is supposed to limit the incoming pressure, but I don't know how effective they are.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 01:31:37 AM »
Jim on our 06 PT we have had the PEX fittings fail twice hot water side and cold. I have replaced both to correct the problem it may be that your flex seals in the PEX have derogated. The last time at Lowes they had new Brass PEX end of issue.

You should be able to see if they is your leak by simply using a paper towel to check for leaks. All leaks around the mixing valve will drain from the same pan drain.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 01:37:16 AM »
Jim on our 06 PT we have had the PEX fittings fail twice hot water side and cold. I have replaced both to correct the problem it may be that your flex seals in the PEX have derogated. The last time at Lowes they had new Brass PEX end of issue.

You should be able to see if they is your leak by simply using a paper towel to check for leaks. All leaks around the mixing valve will drain from the same pan drain.

Are you referring to seals at the faucets?  I'm not sure I understand what you mean by mixing valve.  Thanks.

Dale Walker

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 02:22:39 AM »
Jim, have you been running the roof air conditioners? This is probably way off base, but I had a leak under my coach, and found out it was condensation from the roof air.

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 04:16:23 PM »
I have basement air but it wasn't a factor. I thought about that, though. The leak occurs regardless of a/c use.

Thanks for the input.