Author Topic: Hydraulic/Fuel Filter/Water Separator assistance  (Read 15932 times)

Tim Schafer

• BAC Member
Re: Hydraulic/Fuel Filter/Water Separator assistance
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 04:59:39 AM »
Well, I think I either ordered the wrong part of didn't order the parts to go with this part.

I bought a WIX Filters - 33621 since someone mentioned they liked Wix, I didn't realize it was part of an assembly, does anyone know if this is what I want and I just need to order another part, or did I order the wrong thing.

This was to be the water separator filter.

Thanks for any info.

Here is a link to what I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CSGTQO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tim & Ann
Tim & Ann Schafer
1997 Beaver Patriot Camden 40'

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 02:49:13 PM »
Tim,
With your water separator, you drain the fuel out of the bottom of the plastic bowel, then unscrew the plastic bowel from the filter, then remove the filter from the base mount.
The little 1" oring goes on the threaded center base mount and the other two big Orings go on the filter, one on the top to the base and the other to the plastic bowel to the filter bottom. Lube the Orings with a bit of oil.
Going back together, screw the bowel onto the filter, fill the filter with fuel and screw it onto the base. Sometimes these can be a pain to stop them from leaking and sucking air. When you get it back together start up the Cat and watch the bowel to see if it stays full of fuel, if it starts to empty you're sucking air. Shut off the motor and tighten up the assembly some more.

Edward Buker

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2016, 05:24:29 PM »
Tim,

Lee passed along some great info. Sometimes it can take two strap wrenched to both grip the filter and the bowl to allow you to hold one and tighten the other. If your parts do not look quite right and you have a Racor unit as the pre filter, they have made some changes over the years. There is a kit required to replace an older style filter that is no longer made which includes an aluminum bowl and a new filter.

http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKER/menuitem.de7b26ee6a659c147cf26710237ad1ca/?vgnextoid=fcc9b5bbec622110VgnVCM10000032a71dacRCRD&vgnextfmt=default&vgnextcatid=2913342&vgnextcat=RK12963+INTEGRATED+RETROFIT+KIT

It is not clear what you are working with now so I passed this info along. If I did not have the kit already and had the older Racor unit I might consider replacing the whole unit rather then spend money on the kit. Searches on the forum should have a lot of info on this subject.

Later Ed