Author Topic: Air conditioner filter  (Read 6242 times)

Roy Lewis

Air conditioner filter
« on: July 18, 2016, 05:47:48 AM »
HibFolks, we have a 02 Marquis Tourmaline. Where is the basement air filter located?

Roy Lewis

Re: Air conditioner filter
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 06:18:13 AM »
I am sorry, the basement air conditioner filter.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 08:31:48 AM »
Roy
My understanding is that the filter is behind an acess panel above the  exhaust tubes.  I am looking forward to other answers too.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 04:35:43 PM »
I have a 2000 Jasper.  Mine is located behind a panel in the middle bay on the passenger side.  It is on the back wall inside that bay.  It has four screws holding in the wood panel, behind which is a piece of filter material.  Good luck.

Roy Lewis

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 05:24:54 PM »
Thank you so much!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 10:35:17 PM »
Roy and Jim
I think the difference is the model year.  It would not be the first time I missed something but I have never seen a panel in the rear of the middle bay.  I think they changed that for '02.
Gerald would be in the know on this!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Roy Lewis

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 03:53:13 AM »
Kieth, there is a panel in middle with 8 screws in it , I will check it out tomorrow. Weather here has been very cool and just started running air.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 05:29:38 PM »
The 2000 to 2002 Marquis uses 2 different locations for the air filter depending on the return air system used. Most of the early production units have no return air duct and use a 18 by 36 filter that is accessible through a panel in the basement adjacent to the A/C unit. The filter sets in a grove and tapes to the evaporator core side of the A/C unit.

The later models use a return air duct and have a filter that slides into the return air duct from outside the coach just above the large condenser core inlet tubes at the rear of the kitchen slide.

Some of the coaches have a filter above the return air hole in the coach floor behind the return air grill at the end of the kitchen cabinet. I think that most of these are owner installations, and are only effective if the enclosure around the A/C unit is completely sealed and most of them are not. 

Gerald   
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 05:37:02 PM by Gerald Farris »

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 11:18:37 PM »
Thanks Gerald.  This forum can confuse folks sometimes if we forget that things change not only with the model year but sometimes in mid year.
Your voice of reason is appreciated.

How cracked does the exhaust tube need to get before it should be replaced?  Do you know where these might be found?  Perhaps Home Depot?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Tim Schafer

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 04:24:52 AM »
On my coach I only see the cheap foam filter at each of the air intake's in the ceiling, is there another filter somewhere that needs to be changed?

97 Patriot.

Thanks,

Tim & Ann
Tim & Ann Schafer
1997 Beaver Patriot Camden 40'

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 06:15:56 AM »
Tim
We are discussing filters for the A/C that is in the basement. 
That foam filter in yours id the only filter that I know of.  Beyond cleaning that, the only service I can suggest is cleaning the condenser fan and coils.  This can be done from under the cover on the roof using diluted simple green and a spray bottle and a very gentle garden hose.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 06:20:47 PM »
Keith,
The tubes that I think you are referring to are the intake tubes for the condenser coil. The exhaust air from the A/C unit goes straight down below the coach. The intake tubes serve very little purpose when stationary. However, if the A/C is used when driving, they restrict intake from below the coach and therefore cut down on dust and dirt from the road. Replacement ducts are available from most large residential A/C service companies, but they will be a cosmetic repair unless they are severely degraded.

Gerald     

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 10:00:16 PM »
I knew that these are the intake tubes but at some point got it turned around. 
Thanks for the answer.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Roy Lewis

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 02:00:40 AM »
Well folks, I picked a 90 plus day to find and change air conditioner filter on our 02 Marquis Tourmaline with basment air. It was right where you folks told me it was. I removed cover and found previous owner had stuffed a 20 x20 in filter in a place where a 18x20 belonged. Needless to say it was a mess, filthy and folded over on itself. Airflow is much better and coach cooled right down! Thanks to all that replied!