Author Topic: Windows 10 automatic updates over cellular  (Read 4403 times)

Keith Cooper

Windows 10 automatic updates over cellular
« on: July 31, 2016, 01:50:04 PM »
I wouldn't normally do this however, this may affect a significant number of our members data usage in August if you connect your PC's to the internet through a WiFi router (WiFi Ranger, Wave, etc) or connect to your mobile hotspot over wifi:
On August 2nd windows 10 Anniversary update begins. It is projected to be a very large automatic download.
To manage this download I would suggest that you mark your cellular WiFi network as "metered" on your Windows 10 laptop or PC. Here is how:
go into the Settings Menu > select Network & Internet > WiFi > Advanced Options.
Next on each cellular WiFi network toggle Metered Connection to ON This change allows you to control when the update will be performed.

When you are ready to do the update (connected to a high speed Wifi network that is not metered) go to Settings > Windows Update > and select Download

There is a second feature you should consider disabling while you are on the road:
Internet Peer-To-Peer - feature shares your data connections with others to speed downloads
to disable the feature go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options > under Choose How Updates Are Installed turn off Update From More Than One Place.
Chris Dunphy of Technomedia  put together a very good explanation of the issues at https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/huge-auto-download-windows-10-anniversary-update-coming-august-2nd/
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Windows 10 automatic updates over cellular
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 07:24:43 PM »
Even though I don't connect via means that would tax my data resources, it's good to be forewarned.  So thank you, Keith.  It also means that those of us relying on famously limited and overloaded RV park WiFi can expect potential issues trying to complete the update seamlessly.  Just so I don't have to deal with the update on our imminent roadtrip, I may opt to haul along our old Vista laptop rather than this new W10 Convertible thing, that has its pluses and its annoying minuses. 

Hopefully whenever its done though, a new W10 version will have improved some things.  I just finished reading on the Microsoft Forum where someone mentioned they hoped the forthcoming update would fix the issue with importing Favorites to EDGE from Internet Explorer and MSN, a big PITA for a lot of us over the last year;  it was the first I'd heard of the pending update.  You just reinforced it.

All these updates seem to happen around the same time annually... the new iOS came down also this weekend for our iPad.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat