Author Topic: Step  (Read 2533 times)

Jim Shaw

Step
« on: August 04, 2016, 03:17:08 PM »
I replaced the step on my Monterey last year and it worked great until a couple of months ago when it quit in the out position. I got the pin out of the linkage from the motor and the motor worked. Had a very hard time getting the pin back in. This has happened a few times and now I just remove the motor and put it back and it works again for awhile. It seems something is binding. Does anyone know if there is and adjustment on the linkage or have any other idea.
Thanks for any help.
Jim Shaw
2003 Monterey

George Harwell

Re: Step
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 08:27:07 PM »
Jim, your step mortor shuts off when it senses an overload of current. That overload can be caused by binding or the step has fully retracted. If you lubricate every hinge point try moving the step with the motor pin disconnected. Lubricate till the step is moving freely. Reconnect the motor, turn on the step switch and operate the step by opening and closing the screen door. If it fails to retract try lifting on the step. If that doesn't help it sounds like the motor is weak or there is binding in the motor/gear area. Be sure the grounds are clean. Good luck.

Jim Shaw

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 11:47:45 PM »
Thanks George, The step is only a year old and with it disconnected from the motor it is very free, I can move it in and out with no resistance. 

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 12:08:34 AM »
Jim
On the older Kwiki steps there used to be switches in the ignition, on the wall, the door frame and a controller unit usualy close to the door but often under a cabinet.  If the overload sensor in the control unit (or whatever they use for that purpose now) is weak then logicaly you would see what you describe.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!