Author Topic: 2000 Beaver Patriot Racor Upgrade  (Read 15162 times)

Marty Bailey

• BAC Member
Re: 2000 Beaver Patriot Racor Upgrade
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 03:00:49 AM »
Pic 3
2000 Patriot

Edward Buker

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 04:22:10 AM »
Marty,

Really nice job on the new filter install. I think you will be very happy with this arrangement. How well did the purge feature work?

Later Ed

Marty Bailey

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 02:49:08 PM »
Thanks, it is nice to have a working system. I tried to get the old pump to run with direct power but with on success. I don't it ever worked since we have owned the RV. Now I have to work on the engine charging system, when with the engine running it jumps to 16-18 volts until it triggers the overload. I know Our couch batteries are wasted so I am going to start by replacing them first.

Marty
2000 Patriot

Edward Buker

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 03:53:48 PM »

Marty,

After the batteries, if still an issue check the alternator ground, it needs a good ground as a reference. If you have to go deeper it should have a Leece Neville, the voltage regulators bolt on and are changeable. The older ones had an adjustable trim pot screw to set the voltage. They have eliminated those on the newer regulators and that may have been a problem area with age. Saw this replacement which seems like a good price of $248 if it is the right one...hope you do not have to go there.

http://store.aj-elec.com/new-160-amp-alternator-for-applications-with-a-battery-isolator-and-duvac-system

Later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 04:04:39 AM »
Marty,
From your description about your charging system problems, you have one of three problems. A bad connection in the sense wire to the alternator regulator, a bad alternator ground, or a bad alternator voltage regulator. I would make sure that the first two items are not an issue before changing the regulator, because the sense wire an ground are commonly overlooked in diagnosing an alternator voltage problem.

Some RV owners who replace their voltage regulator want to use an adjustable regulator like the ones that were formally installed in the Leece Neville alternator to prevent overcharging AGM batteries. If you do need a new regulator and want an adjustable regulator, let me know and I will give you the part number.

Gerald   

Marty Bailey

• BAC Member
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 04:35:37 PM »
Thanks Ed/Gerald, I will take a look and let you know what I find. The RV has been parked and only started for the last 2 years. We have been using it as we rebuild our retirement home. Also I forgot to mention I recently replace the inverter.
Marty
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 04:51:40 PM by Marty Bailey »
2000 Patriot

Marty Bailey

• BAC Member
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2016, 04:42:08 PM »
Gerald what did you think of my Racor upgrade. I am really glad the old one needed replacing it allowed me to find the need for support for the filter systems.

Marty
2000 Patriot

Gerald Farris

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 01:17:45 AM »
Marty,
The Racor upgrade looked great. I hope that I do as good a job in replacing my Racor if it ever fails, but I will probably be in a hurry and attach it to the OEM mount.

Gerald

Marty Bailey

• BAC Member
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 06:18:45 PM »
Gerald is the a stigmatic for the battery bay electronics?

Marty
2000 Patriot

Edward Buker

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2016, 08:08:08 PM »
Marty,

A stigmatic is probably a condition you get when you start an RV project and it goes really bad :-) A schematic is what you are looking for. Looking at the quality of your Racor install you are unlikely to have the stigmatic problem that I sometimes have with my projects:-)

This is not exactly what you are looking for but it does have some of the high current connections that may help. I'm not sure that that there are good schematics for the SMC era that are drawn like this one. It was done in 07 for newer wired versions under Monaco. Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Marty Bailey

• BAC Member
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2016, 01:08:23 AM »
Thanks Ed yeah lets not go with stigmatic I like schematic much better. 8)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 01:10:52 AM by Marty Bailey »
2000 Patriot