Poll

Hi there. We have a 2006 Beaver Marquis. The toilet does not have a mfg name. Please help.

Name of toilet mfg?
0 (0%)
Parts required??
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Toilet bowl will not hold water.  (Read 7519 times)

Ted Provenza

Toilet bowl will not hold water.
« on: August 09, 2016, 01:56:24 PM »
Hi Folks, this is my first post. My wife and I flew to CA to bring home Goldie, a 2006 Beaver Marquis 42 Topaz QSL. We have 2 issues remaining. #1, The toilet bowl will not hold water, what parts are needed and are there any tricks to this repair?
#2, The step cover retracted on our way home to Finksburg, MD and has not worked since. Thoughts?
My cell number is 443.340.8438. Thx for any assistance. Ted Provenza

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Toilet bowl will not hold water.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 02:20:23 PM »
Is it electric or manual?  I suspect, being a Marquis, it is electric.  It's likely a Magnum Opus... mine is and my coach is a 2004 Marquis made by Monaco.

I know my step cover is air actuated and its controlling solenoid is in the electrical bay beside the air horn solenoid.

Do some searching and reading here on the forum: "magnum opus" and "step cover".
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:28:14 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 02:33:47 PM »
Ted,

Welcome to BAC and good luck with your new coach.

Not sure which toilet you have but usually there is a packet of literature that would have a toilet manual. If not there is usually a label in the back closet describing what brand and model components are installed. If it is the traditional porcelain manual flush with a foot pedal there is a rubber seal that is a lip that rides against a ball valve. Sometimes material will cling to that and you will loose sealing. You can use dish detergent and an old tooth brush, working it around the seal, getting bristles on the top and bottom of the seal with the ball valve open and the water off. Then flush it well with the water on. If that doesn't work there is a seal kit that is not hard to install and involves pulling the upper porcelain bowl. Instructions with the kit. The ball portion only needs changing if it has a scratch that is causing the water loss. If it is an electric version I am not sure but may be a similar repair.

As David points out if it is air activated the solenoid has some valve adjustments for speed of travel. It may be a bad solenoid or in need of adjustment.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:38:21 PM by Edward Buker »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 05:21:03 PM »
Ted,
If you have the Magnum Opus toilet, here is a link to the owner's manual with trouble shooting instructions. http://manuals.adventurerv.net/Dometic-Magnum-Opus-3000-600344233.pdf

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 09:24:41 PM »
If it's a bowl seal, Camping World has "universal" kits for such repairs for at least more common models in the Thetford/Dometic lines.  Not that I prefer CW at all, but if there's one nearby, for some things they can be handy parts sources.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 02:15:23 AM »
Ted
First, welcome to the club and we hope you enjoy your new coach.

A coach that sits can still develop problems.  The toilet gasket is one that stays flexable and clean when used but even very small ammount of debris can cause the water not to hold.  I use a round toilet brush and mild soap.  Hold the ball valve open and run the round brush down the drain a bit and circular motion the rinse well. 

Your (close out /step cover)  is air driven and uses an air manifold valve  unit.  It is probably located on the forward wall inside the electric bay.  Larry in parts at Beaver Coach Sales will send you a new one.  Ours cost under $100 as I recall.  Our Marquis had sat for some time and this was the first repair for us too. 
Just a heads up, its always good to take a couple good photos of the old unit before removing it.   
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 04:12:48 AM »
Ted,
A word of caution, diagnose the problems on your coach before you just start throwing new parts at a problem. The proper diagnoses of a problem will save you a lot of money, and a lot of frustration.

Gerald 
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 04:34:03 AM »
If it's a Magnum Opus, then you do NOT need to hold the ball valve open to brush the seal.  Under the top-rear removable cover (3" by 12" or so held down by Velcro) there are a couple toggle switches.  Switch the proper toggle to the "service" position and the ball will retract down and away from the hole.  A sticky label under the removable cover identifies the two toggles' and what they are for.  When done with the cleaning procedure, simply move the toggle back off the "service" position and the ball will move back to block the hole.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Ted Provenza

A royal flush and now holding. Come on, that's funny.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 09:49:02 PM »
Thank you for the help. I found the switch and cleaned the seal and it is holding water again. A royal flush. On another note, do the charging micro switches affect both banks of batteries or just the coach? I have 8 LifeLine AGM house batteries,  2 liquid acid chassis batteries and found the switch positions not in either the Liquid Acid or AGM configurations. No charging voltage was read with the switches in the AGM mode, so I reconfigured the settings to Liquid acid. Possibly a timing issue?
Another question...How do I dump the city water and clean the fresh water holding tank?
One more, the step cover retracted while we were driving the unit home from CA to MD and it will no longer operate. The air gasket around the door does not seem to be expanding resulting in increased road noise. I have traced the air lines to the step area but am unable to locate the end point. Thoughts??
I thought I would go for broke with the bevy of issues, albeit minor in the scheme of things.
Thanks for your help.
Ted

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 10:39:54 PM »
Glass mat batteries don't like or need the occasional equalizing charges from the inverter's charger that knock precipitant sulfur off wet cell plates, thus the necessity for telling the (I assume) Magnum what kind of batteries you have.  I'm presuming it only refers to the house batteries, as they are charged first by the inverter off park or genset power.  Upon reaching about 13.3 volts, the BIRD switches charging over to whatever's needed for the chassis batteries.  I doubt that would include equalizing if you have AGM's configured on your panel.  It may be necessary to check dipswitch positions on your solar controller, as I recall it needs to know the house battery type involved also.

I'm not sure why you didn't see Bulk, Absorb, or at least Float charging after programming for AGM's, but then I have all wet cells and there may be some particular reason that someone else here is familiar with on AGM's.

As to the water tank, there should be a water dump switch in your wet bay;  hold it on for a couple seconds to make sure the valve opens, and you should hear the motor opening it and then see and hear water splashing from the tank underneath, perhaps on the other side of the coach.  Be sure to close it again (hold the switch for a several seconds) when finished dumping.

There are a couple of methods to get a cup of bleach into the tank.  One common one is:  hook a hose to the city fill, add bleach into the hose, and attach the other end to faucet (without losing the bleach), and fill the tank.  Run each faucet on the coach until you smell bleach.  Let it set for at least several hours.  Dump the tank.  Of course use gloves, old clothes, eye protection, and ultimate caution... it is undiluted bleach afterall.  Refill with some dissolved baking soda added this time and run up to the faucets to neutralize bleach.  Let set a few hours, and dump, and refill with fresh and pump some through to freshen faucets.  There are variations.  I use a garden fertilizer attachment described in previous threads on the forum, rather than trying to add bleach or soda to a hose;  the reason is that I don't think all hose interiors agree with bleach, as the first time I tried it the taste of subsequent water fills wasn't all that palatable for awhile.

Be sure, of course, that you turn the tank fill valve horizontal (and the pump switch off) while filling the tank, or no fluid will go in the tank.  Then remember to turn it off (vertical) after filling.  On our water bay manifold of valves, the tank fill is top right.

It's been awhile, but as I recall on some coaches you can get at the step cover mechanism by removing an access panel "hidden" next to or in front of the driver's seat.  You might explore the carpet between the seat and step cover for screws.  You may find air or electric connections under there you can attend to.  Ours acted up when it was new, and it was just the deck catching along the guides.  Others here are more familiar with your Marquis configuration and likely been there, done that.

-Joel
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 09:07:43 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Robert Wagner

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 12:12:16 AM »
We run Murphys Oil thru everything and leave it sitting in toilet when we are parking for any extended time. It works great on making sure everything is conditioned like all the rubber parts.

Also works great on all our wood. Win win.