Author Topic: Gutters have taken their toll on my walls  (Read 4292 times)

Gary Wolfer

Gutters have taken their toll on my walls
« on: August 13, 2016, 12:29:19 AM »
I cannot speak for other years but my 1998 Patriot has leaked in different spots since I have owned it in the last 3 years. I have taken windows out and resealed them and done everything I could think of even the bedroom carpet got wet because of leaks under the shower. After all is said and done I finally found the problem. I have posted on this subject before but this was my problem The roof and walls meet under the gutters. The screws had silicone on them and a rubber piece that fit into slots to keep water out. Unfortunately the water came thru these gutters on both sides of my coach. I also found under the shower where the trap is was too long to get under the shower stall so when they installed the showers instead of raising the shower they took a 6" hole saw and drilled out 3/4" plywood flooring so the trap extended below the floor level and there is an access door to work on the drain but there is two runs of 1 1/2" black abs drain pipe next to the access door so you could not see inside let alone get a hand in to do anything. I had to take the plastic liner over the drivers off and drilled 3 holes in the foam insulation just to drain off the 6" hole with the trap in it because the rainwater that leaked thru the gutters at the top of the wall leaked and filled the hole with standing water and when It got full it spilled out covering the whole floor under the shower and bedroom closet until it got the bedroom carpet before I found it. I am not real proud of the lack of skill in the manufacturing of this year of Beaver built by the Safari Corporation.

Doug Allman

Re: Gutters have taken their toll on my walls
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 12:13:57 PM »
Gary, To let you know you are not alone on being real proud of what the manufacturer does we have a 2004 Marquis built by Monaco and if any of their so called engineers or assembly persons ever had one to maintain I believe they would talk to and about it just like we do.
We are just completing an involved interior remodel, new in floor heat and cork flooring, new corian countertops including shower walls and all sinks and faucets, new tile backsplash's,  new sconce lighting, all new led lighting in ceiling, new swing down 42" TV, new Samsung Micro wave, new Samsung refrigerator. Do this once and you will find out what you do not get for your money when you buy a coach.

Now go outside and try to work on your dash a/c system. The accumulator (dryer) is mounted up by the windshield motor. Gerald says to take apart dash and cut hole in osb under dash to get to it. I now understand why most coach's are sold at around 30,000 miles by those that have the wherewithall to do it. Engineering and assembly were certainly not completed with the customer in focus in any of their small sited craniums. Quality, now that is a whole nother issue you do not have time for.                            But it looks good.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 12:03:08 AM »
Gary
We had a 98 Montecello prior to our current one.  We had leaks but nowhere near what you describe.  The skylight was broken but only on the edge and you would not see that because someone had covered it with sealant.  By the time I tracked it down the ceiling was shot.
The awning leaked as it does in all Beavers of that era.  Sadly we were told it could be fixed without complete removal of the awning.  This other shop was wrong and the damage was done. 
Certainly Beavers have points where they could have been designed better.  No way am I going to get my fat butt up in the nose cap to do the A/C.  IMHO though many of the problems we have had could have been avoided.  That skylight cost us about $200  to fix and letting it go caused many times that in damage.
Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking. 
If you will be at Seven Feathers perhaps I could be of some help?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 03:40:09 AM »
Keith I live on a private Lot in Winchester bay and will be here two years just after christmas. I hope to stay here as long as I can I make short trips but stay pretty close to home. I have a 20' offshore boat and fish and crab mostly in the bay and lakes in the area. If you or any of the Beaver guys come in I have a fire pit and we have some good times here. YOu are always welcome. I live on the corner of Broadway ave and Salmon Harbor drive just 1 block off Hwy 101.
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett