Author Topic: Overheat  (Read 8705 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Overheat
« on: August 16, 2016, 04:25:28 AM »
Picked up the coach today from storage and about two miles into the ride home noticed the engine warning and stop engine lights were illuminated.  Checked the Aladdin and had engine temp of 255.  Took another half mile to find a safe place to pull over and ultimately, through Coach-Net, arranged for a tow to a Cummins service center.  Needless to say our planned trip tomorrow is postponed.

Upon reflection, I heard a loud noise from the rear of the coach when I started it.  At the time, I attributed it to the coach airing up but I don't recall that ever sounding quite so loud.  While waiting for the tow, I observed liquid draining from the center rear of the coach.  Felt like water (but I didn't taste it to confirm).

I'm beating myself up a bit tonight because I should have noticed the temp rising into the danger zone.  The curve of the steering wheel obstructs my view of the warning lights.

The Cummins folks promise to evaluate the problem tomorrow.  In the meantime, any thoughts about prospective damage?

Larry

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Overheat
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 07:26:43 AM »
If you're lucky it's only a blown coolant hose, and you won't have much of a delay, just some expense for a new hose and coolant.  Hopefully they check out all your other hoses.  Sounds like you got the coach stopped before it got hot enough to harm anything.  Our engines are designed to derate in such circumstances to protect themselves.  I'm just not sure why a blown hose would be particularly loud.  I suppose you could have lost the serpentine belt.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 11:49:05 AM »
May have lost the water pump belt maybe. Have them check the radiator area for a nest if your coach has been sitting a while.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Doug Allman

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 12:10:15 PM »
Lawrence, I agree with Joel and Lamonte. We have had our 3116 up to that temp climbing in the Rockies when we did not know the radiator was junk. Did not hurt engine as it was not prolonged and I do not believe yours will be either. We went a lot farther than you did by 15 miles or so but slowed way down and shifted to lower gear to help hold temp down. Found out also that the temp block was not working to keep fan running.
We had 3 belts on 3116 and when they all let loose (never knew how long they would last even after alignment) (( and needed to buy as matched set for length)) up the temp went as it quit turning the coolant pump. Serpentine will do same now if it gives up.
If you have a good shop I believe you will be on your way sooner than you think.

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 03:34:26 PM »
Doug,

On a C12 I believe the coolant pump is internally driven. You would lose the alternator and the dash air if the serpentine belt went but with the generator and main charger system running you would get home....which is always a good thing:-)

Later Ed
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 03:40:29 PM by Edward Buker »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 03:57:25 PM »
Larry,
Your 2003 Monterey probably has a Cummins engine with a rear radiator, and if so, the water pump and fan are both driven by your serpentine belt. Therefore, a broken belt will cause the symptoms that you described.

On these coaches, the most common reason for a broken belt is either excess age and wear or a locked up A/C compressor. If your belt has never been changed, at 14 to 15 years old, it was past due to break, but if it was fairly new you may have a more expensive problem.

Gerald   

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 08:20:10 PM »
Preliminary findings by the Cummins shop: seized alternator, $2,125 estimate.  Will have details in a few days.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 08:45:14 PM »
Please do explain that estmate - $2,125?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 09:55:08 PM »
Preliminary findings by the Cummins shop: seized alternator, $2,125 estimate.  Will have details in a few days.
Shop just replaced my alternator Friday with a Neese Level 270 amp.  599 parts and 3 hours (345) labor.  With shipping and tax just over a grand.  Must be something else going on.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 10:02:19 PM »
Larry
We had the alternator bearing go and replaced it with a new Leese Nevile alternator.  Two day shipping and install still cost about $1000.
Turned out that new alternator was crap and I had it rebuilt.  New bearings, new diodes and a full check up plus labor for $250.  This was on our 3126B CAT.
Also FYI  It mightserve you well to just replace the tensioner wheels while you are at this.  They go bad and I had one that went right out under a new belt.

If there is anything consoling here, this could have happened in a worse spot. 
Glad you are all OK
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 10:38:23 PM »
Forgot to mention, water pump too.  And belt. 
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Doug Allman

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 12:09:57 PM »
In Yuma last year we had ac compressor burn up and shred the serpentine. This years maintenance included replacing all the bearings in the idler pulleys and a new tensioner for the serpentine belt. All the idlers sang to you when you moved them by hand due to lack of lubrication. The tensioner was letting the belt run off to one side on a slight angle and you could see  the belt was off its normal track on the tensioner wheel.
All the bearings had their numbers on them when removed and be sure when you order a new tensioner (for your CAT at least) it is the CAT part number on your old tensioner. A universal one usually will not work due to fitment on the CAT stud mount.

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 02:21:31 PM »
Thanks, Doug.  We have a Cummins 350 ISL.  I will have them check the tensioner and related parts.  Glad we were not yet on the road.

Larry

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 12:17:28 AM »
Final report:

N-Power replaced alternator for $207 in parts, water pump for $174, tensioner for $135 and belt for $46.  Plus some miscellany for a total of $579 for parts.  Labor was $1,404 at $130 per hour.  They had to cut out some carpet on the cover over the engine hold.  They replaced it, but I am glad it is in an inobtrusive location.  Bottom line -- ouch on my purse, but she's running fine now.  This mucked up a short two-day trip, but will be ready for a week long trip next month -- assuming I survive our move to a new home.

Larry