Author Topic: Hurricane Hydronic Heat  (Read 9592 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Hurricane Hydronic Heat
« on: September 06, 2010, 09:21:05 AM »
Here's an update for those who like me still have the Hurricane system.
Jim Rixon did an upgrade for us in the form of a larger fan and heat radiator under the refer cabinet.  We haven't tried this out in very cold temps yet, but it did get down to below 50 degrees recently and the hurricane had our coach at 75 very quickly and kept it there.  
We don't have the Comfort hot upgrade yet, but as this is the first time the system has worked right since 1998, wow are we impressed.
Big pat on the back to Rixons Ent.
Keith
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 02:19:05 AM by 14 »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jeremy Parrett

Re: Hurricane Hydronic Heat
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 12:31:54 AM »
Is it possible to heat the coach while plugged in to 110 v ac by the floor heaters or must I run the Hurricane furnace to heat the water?  Jeremy

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 03:14:26 AM »
Jeremy,
The Hurricane heater does not have a 120V heating element in it. However there are a large number of coaches that were equipped with Hurricane heaters that had an aftermarket Comfort Hot back-up electric heater by Rixen's Enterprises, installed inline with the Hurricane. With the Comfort Hot system you can heat the coach on shore power using the floor heaters with the outside temperature below 20 degrees without running the Hurricane burner if you are on 50 amp power.

The Patriots that were the first to have Hurricane heaters installed, did not even have an electric domestic water heater, so a lot of them had the Comfort Hot systems installed because they had to leave the Hurricane burner turned on year round to heat their domestic water without it.

So the answer to your question is, no you can not heat the coach on shore power unless your coach has had a Comfort Hot system added to it.

Gerald  

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 03:46:22 AM »
Thanks Gerald. We are in Lake City FL today heading west towards New Orleans,San Antonio,Mimbres NM and San Diego.   I think I need to modify the Hurricane system by adding an inline water heater.  Jeremy

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 03:51:17 AM »
Gerald, do you have any idea how much diesel a Hurricane heater uses in 24 hours cyclonic use. jeremy

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 06:02:37 AM »
 Jeremy,
The Comfort Hot system was developed and sold by Jim Rixen at Rixen's Enterprises http://rixens.com/ ,the distributor that sold the Hurricanes to Beaver. I installed the system into my coach myself. It is a little bit of an involved installation, but it is a doable installation by the average or better mechanic with some residential electrical wiring experience. If you do not want to install the system yourself Rixen will install it for you at his facility in Portland Oregon. I do not know of any other electric heating system that that will interface with the Hurricane system.

I think that the fuel consumption rating on the Hurricane heater in your coach is rated at 1/2 gallon per hour of run time. Since the burner only runs when necessary, the colder it is the more the burner will run and the more fuel that it will use.

Gerald

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 05:48:27 PM »
 Gerald.  Rixen's Comfort heat is definitely   a cost effective solution .  The Hurricane is running about 10 minutes per hour with outside temps in the 30's.
Presently 3 1500 watt Sunbeam ceramic heaters (Walmart $18 ea.) set on low are maintaining coach temps in the 70's. If we set them on high the 20 amp circuit breaker that covers the floor outlets and the entertainment centre TV etc. trips. It is located in the basement beside the water pump etc. Hopefully this system will get us to Portland in the spring.
Meanwhile if I can find an inline electric heater that will keep the Hurricane water hot I will post it.
  Many thanks for your advise.  Jeremy  .Marquis Amethyst 2000

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 11:55:47 AM »
Jeremy
Our Hurricane needed some service.  We had the high limit switch (aquastat) replaced.  Now hot is alot hotter and the run cycles are further apart so less fuel.
A couple of things that also helped were checking along the tile floor at the edge of the slide (we put a low knap carpet down) and at the floor at the slide corners to minimize air flow.  We had a high output fan put in the heat register under the fridge (the greatest improvement).
Also, if I put too much strain on the outlets below counter level it blows the breaker on the inverter.  If I plug a couple things into outlets above and some below counter level (seperate circuts) we are fine.
We were in 22 degree weather with a cold coach but the Hurricane alone had it to 75 in 10 minutes.  I still suggest the "Comfort Hot" from Rixen ent.  It is designed for your coach.
Hope this helps some
Merry Christmas
Keith
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 11:35:32 PM by 14 »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 03:34:47 PM »
Hello Keith,
    Thank you for your input. I did find that the outlets you mentioned are wired to different breakers.  There are 4 on the panel in the basement; each one is 20 amp I think.
  The Rixen Inc. Comfort Heat addition is a great solution.  We are headed to Oregon in the spring, and we will have to make do for now with the 3 micro heaters.  
It rained heavily last night revealing another problem I had put on the back burner. Above the front door there is a bad leak.I suspect it is the Girard awning which is recessed into the side of the coach. I hope this doesnt mean I have to remove and reseal the entire unit??
  We are now full timing, and have a list of issues that we are slowly reducing as funds permit !!!
                 Happy Christmas.    Jeremy and Jane.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 11:39:11 PM by 14 »

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 02:09:38 PM »
Hello Jeremy and Jane
I just discovered a new / old leak again too.  So much rain in the last couple days in the NW.
We had our awning fixed in Bend, twice as the first sealant didnt hold.  Yes they pulled the whole thing as the inner box that holds the Girrard was not sealed at the factory.  Our fridge was in the way too so it was spendy.
Here's a warning for the do-it yourselfer.
If your Girrard awning has the original plastic housing motor, it will break!  The suit with the supplier was settled and the fix was done on some so contact Girrard before anyone removes the awning (speak to Andre').  We paid about $1500.00 to remove and reseal the awning but werent told about the motor.  The awning has to be pulled out again.
PS  Call Girrard dont e-mail as we tried that for two years.  Andre was at the Redmond rally, he said calling worked.

Have a Merry Christmas and safe travels
Keith and Carol
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 05:13:10 PM »
Hello keith and Carol,
   wonderful information. After speaking to the previous owner I know no warranty work has been done on our coach and so Girard will kill two birds with one stone,so to speak. We are headed to California and we will call Andre when we get closer.   Thanks again,  Jeremy and Jane

2000   Marquis Amethyst C12 full timers.