Author Topic: Finally figured it out. OTA channels issue fixed.  (Read 3767 times)

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Finally figured it out. OTA channels issue fixed.
« on: August 28, 2016, 05:17:23 PM »
I have been having issues with my OTA antenna and not receiving hardly any channels.

I finally decided it was time to spend whatever time needed to figure it out.

I replaced the old winegard antenna with a sensar 4 antenna first of all.

Then I removed my tv's from the brackets and removed the covers for access to all the cable wires.

That was a major mess. I bought a cable tester so I could figure out which wire went were as of course non were marked. After chasing wires and marking both ends of each I did find an intermittent issue with the wire from the top of the antenna to the booster cable. After checking the whole length of cable I still didn't find any issue. I decided to remove that cable and run a new one for this section.

Of course I had to pull the cable through the roof after removing gobs of sealant around it. As I pulled the cable up from on the roof I saw the issue. The cable wire was torn exposing the metal shield and copper center wire. This was the issue with it. I replaced the wire by fishing a new one thru the hole. I also purchased a Winegard sensar pro booster and hooked it it in place of the old booster box. It was quite simple now that I had all the wires marked.I only had to enlarge the hole a bit.

I reinstalled the tv's one at a time and now I get 33 OTA channels from in my yard, I only received 3 before the upgrade and repair. The front tv, bedroom tv, and basement tv all receive the same # of channels and is a major improvement.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Edward Buker

Re: Finally figured it out. OTA channels issue fixed.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 05:56:46 PM »
Great job Lamonte! Sometimes these problems are well buried. Good to know that in at least one case, a cable could be pulled to feed a new one. Whenever I have looked at a cable and thought pull it and run a better alternative, seems like a no go.

These coaches have had some of the worst RF cabling habits I have seen. Sometimes as a work around you can cut signal losses where you can get access and boost the signals. Huge improvements can be had by finding the "hub" of most of the RF cabling/distribution, usually near the antenna booster power source, and replace all the RF splitters with a good inexpensive multi port RF amp.

It also gives you the chance to label some or the RF wires. In my case from the first rats nest photo to the last photo...I went from about 4 marginal OTA channels to about 15 decent ones where I live. The long cable runs, like the bedroom TV now has the same signal as the living room TV. The Amp is available on Amazon, great results for a partial day project....

Lamonte, thought I would add this info to your post, between a better antenna and the right distribution amps there is potential for a really good OTA system in our Beaver Coaches.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 06:04:12 PM by Edward Buker »
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell