Author Topic: Air Conditioner Belt Installation for 2003 Contessa  (Read 20646 times)

William Harmon

Air Conditioner Belt Installation for 2003 Contessa
« on: September 09, 2016, 10:18:28 PM »
While in route to Fayetteville Arkansas, the air conditioner drive belt came off intact and with temps in upper 90's, wife not happy..  Book calls for a Dayco 17470.  I purchased a Duralast 17470 from Autuzone but unable to stretch the belt onto the pulleys with the adjustment on the compressor all the way over.  Also tried to replace original belt but could not stretch belt on.  Wondering if there is way to put replacement belt on or am I missing something.  Planning on going to Branson Missouri Sunday.  All help appreciated.

William Harmon
2003 Contessa 3 slides

William Harmon

Re: Air Conditioner Belt Installation for 2003 Contessa
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 07:33:22 PM »
I purchased a 17480 belt which is 1 inch longer and it tightened up with room to spare when moving the compressor so, I hope it stays on.  Don't know why the old belt came off but will keep a close eye on the new belt.

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 11:08:47 PM »
William,

It may be nothing more then a bad belt but it could also be a problem warning. Check that all items that the belt passes around, idlers etc move freely without any noise or binding.

If the compressor was beginning to have lube or wear issues and was binding heading to bearing failure it can cause the belt to throw as it heats up and binds. It may be nothing but pay attention to abnormal noise, clutch slippage leaving abnormal dust, or abnormal heating of the compressor or clutch. Poor cooling may be a telltale also. You save yourself some big headaches if you can get a compressor changed out before it actually fails freezing up and sending metal particles into the system. If you sense an issue with the compressor you can remove that belt and run with the roof airs and generator until you can have it changed out...Hope it is just a belt issue.

Later Ed

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 01:32:10 PM »
William,

When I mentioned the possibility of running without a belt if needed, I was under the assumption that this was a single drive belt only running the compressor from what you had written. I am not sure of that, so whether that is appropriate or not is really based on your particular engine belt configuration.

Later Ed

William Harmon

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 01:17:41 AM »
When I arrived in Branson, the compressor was making noise but still cooling.  I have not tried to engage compressor after hearing a clicking noise that was not noticed from the drivers seat.  The belt only drives the compressor coming direct from the flywheel.  Wondering if coach could be driven with the belt in place and clutch not engaged or should it be removed before driving any further.  Your input is appreciated.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 06:38:22 AM »
William,
The answer to your question will depend on where the noise is coming from. If the noise is coming from the compressor only when the clutch hub is turning, you can leave the belt on and just not turn on the A/C system. However, if the noise is coming from the pulley bearing that is located in the A/C belt pulley, you will need to remove the belt or the bearing will lock-up and burn the belt off.

Gerald 

William Harmon

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 01:19:40 PM »
Thanks Gerald & Ed, Just to be on the safe side, I will remove belt and have the unit checked when I return home.  I guess thats all I can do at this point.

neil omalley

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 08:26:20 PM »
If you decide to have your problem looked at in Branson, I highly recommend Branson Motor Coach  on Shepard of the Hills Blvd.

William Harmon

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 09:48:08 PM »
Just looking at the compressor clutch area,looks like the clutch plate is loose.  The triangle plate that has 3 bolts passing through attached to the clutch plate.  The 3 inserts around the bolts are missing.  i think the loose clutch plate is making the clicking noise.  Any ideas on whats going on??

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 07:22:23 AM »
William,
A loose clutch plate like the one in your description is usually a result of a compressor failure. When a compressor has excessive resistance to turning or locks up completely, the excessive heat from the slipping clutch will cause the clutch damage that you described.   

Gerald

William Harmon

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 04:44:46 PM »
Thanks everybody,  Looks like I will have to take coach in for repair when I get back home.  With the help from the BAC forums, I have been able to do all my own maintentance up to this point and this has been a great asset to me.  The weather is cooling down so the generator should keep us cool on our trip back home.  Hope it doesn't cost an arm and leg to get the repair work done.
Later, William

William Harmon

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 04:57:19 PM »
Any ideas as to where to take coach for A/C Compressor service??  I'm back in Oklahoma and need to get the air conditioner going before next trip as the heat continues to hang on.  Thinking about taking it to a Truck Service facility that services the Cummings ISL engine.

Jim Houghton

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 12:19:05 AM »
If you are able to put a vacuum on the system then you could actually do the work yourself. Upon purchase of our coach the compressor was no good and required replacing along with the expansion valve. I found the compressor on line by taking the number from off the side of the compressor. The expansion valve and filter dyer I got off of e bay doing a search for RV air conditioner expansion valve. If I remember correctly all was for less than $500 and then purchased the Freon. I believe it was about 4 lbs would have to look that back up. I would imagine to have someone do this work it would be somewhere around $2000 or more. I may have the purchase orders on line with some looking PM me if you want to go this route. I'm out of town on a work trip but have my computer with me.

Jim
2021 Entegra Cornerstone
2003 Beaver Contessa Tuscany (sold)
Pleasant View, TN :)

William Harmon

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 03:51:07 AM »
Thanks Jim for responding to another of my problems with the Contessa.  It performed perfect on my trip to Branson with the exception of the A/C Compressor.  I have a friend that may have the capability to pressurize the system and help me with the installation of a new compressor if that is what it needs.  Let me check with him first before I start the project.  I need to get caught up around the house for a few days.  I'm in no great hurry to complete this.  Let me get back with you.
Thanks again,
William

William Harmon

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 03:32:44 AM »
I have decided to take on this project and have ordered a compressor model 458-46011(taken from the original build sheet).  Wondering if I need a new dryer and expansion valve since the unit was producing cold air up till removing the belt from the compressor.  The clutch pulley bearing seems tight and no play when turning the pulley.  Jim, wondering if you have any numbers for the expansion valve or the dryer??
Thanks, william