Author Topic: Do Chassis Battery switches fail?  (Read 2882 times)

Bruce Sieloff

Do Chassis Battery switches fail?
« on: September 15, 2016, 02:18:04 AM »
In testing my system to try and solve the "no chassis battery power" on my previous post I decided to test the chassis battery switch itself. After wrestling it out I found that in the OFF position I had 11.7V on the two cable side, which I assume is direct from the battery, and nothing (as expected) on the other. When switched to the ON position I had low voltage readings (7Vor so at best) on EITHER side, (and I really struggled to get a good contact on positive and negative probes) which confuses me but I take this to be the sign of a bad switch? I would have expected to get 11.7V on the single cable side when the switch is ON. Not sure how this low voltage happens but since I cannot now use the boost switch to start the coach I am truly dead on site until this is resolved. Does this make sense, having no significant power on either side when the switch is on? I worked the switch back and forth hoping to cut through any corrosion but to no avail. I may have just spread any internal failure around. I intend to replace the switch tomorrow as I appear to have no options. Anyone have a good part number, preferably from a marine supplier?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Do Chassis Battery switches fail?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 06:14:06 AM »
Bruce,a
Sounds like undercharged batteries that can't sustain the load when the switch is turned "On". 11.7V is a discharged battery.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bruce Sieloff

Re: Do Chassis Battery switches fail?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 07:35:37 PM »
I bypassed the switch by connecting all cables to the same terminal and got power to the dash and was able to start the coach with the boost button. After cleaning the terminals and cable lugs I got a working switch so the issue was apparently corrosion not a bad switch. I currently have the generator on and am getting 13.1 volts to the chassis batteries. Switch issue solved.