Author Topic: Fuel along Oregon Coast  (Read 11965 times)

Bob Jae

Re: Fuel along Oregon Coast
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 07:47:21 PM »
Thanks David I have had the RVPlus Card since they started, I think I will just stick with it.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Fuel along Oregon Coast
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 09:19:59 PM »
I differ from Dave in that my multiple negative experiences at Flying-J/Pilot outlets dictate that my incentives place greater value in the card-lock low-stress access, as well as the vastly larger outlet availability, even in diminutive communities off the beaten path.  If I have to pay a few cents more for that, so be it;  however I haven't found a significant difference in pricing - and in some instances Pacific Pride turned out to be lower than surrounding retail stations.

I've also noted in my travels that Sinclair stations are often large and uncrowded, and offer discounts to their registered patrons similar to Flying-J/Pilot.  And if I was informed correctly earlier this summer, some if not all Sinclairs may now accept Pioneer Fuel Pride Advantage cards.  This may have been negotiated to help fill in large swaths of the country that lacked Pacific Pride outlets but had plenty of Sinclairs.  In fact, (if I was desperate) I believe Pilot is part of Pride Advantage now also.

Let me see if I can clarify some things for Oregon visitors - 
Oregon law requires all diesel fuel sold to be at least 5% biodiesel.  Biodiesel producers tried to get that bumped up to 10%, but failed, although municipalities such as Portland may dictate their own local minimum requirements.  So yes, you certainly may still run in to outlets selling up to B20 here.
But to help us all out with that little issue...

In response to consumer complaints, in 2013 the legislature required that from 2014 on anything from 6% up cannot be displayed by street or pump signage to be #2 diesel fuel.  People were driving into stations advertising "Diesel" out at the road or on the pump and getting B10, B15, or B20 fuel.  Essentially the govt. defined what the term "Diesel" meant in this state;  B5 yes, B6 and up no.  So if you are traveling in Oregon and pull into a station that said "Diesel" at the road and it says the usual "#2 low sulfur diesel" on the pump, my interpretation is that by law that fuel cannot be the stuff we are worried about in this thread.    http://biodieselmagazine.com/articles/159331/biodiesel-labeling-rule-clarified-to-oregon-motor-fuel-stations

From 2014 through 2019, B20 or higher fuel is exempt from the 30 cent state excise tax.  This applies only to (1)vehicles 13 tons or less, (2)fuel at retail outlets, and (3)not fuel from cardlock, fleet, or bulk outlets.  This would not affect most of us, but the subject has been broached here before, so I mention it.  Regardless of whether anyone here's pocketbook might benefit, the affect on any diesel engine is nonetheless controversial.

Diesel blends may contain anti-gel additives between October 1st and February 28th.  Some suppliers might not do this (it is not the law as I understand it), but most reputable ones such as Pacific Pride distributors/affiliates, and others, do.

As I interpret the rules as shown on the Secretary of State's site, the Oregon labeling requirements require that anything over 5% biodiesel be labeled as such on the dispenser near its top and visible clearly from a driver's position;  ditto for winterizing/anti-gel additives (although I've yet to notice such a label - the P. Pride site I visited Monday may just not yet have placed it for this season).

Information regarding other states biodiesel information can be found here:   http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/state

-Joel
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 09:55:47 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat