Author Topic: No power to inverter control panel, 1999 beaver thunder  (Read 3658 times)

Sam Haynes

No power to inverter control panel, 1999 beaver thunder
« on: December 20, 2016, 09:47:28 PM »
 I have a 1999 beaver patriot thunder with the original inverter installed. Yesterday when I turn the inverter on I had no lights on the control panel and the inverter did not operate. So I went to the basement to make sure the four pushbutton breakers on the inverter werei in. While I was there I turned the inverter on from the switch located at the inverter and everything seem to work properly.  Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know if there is a circuit breaker or fuse I may have missed? Im guessing this panel runs on 12 V supplied from a separate circuit. Perhaps the remote panel has just failed, can anyone tell me the proper way to test the remote panel?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: No power to inverter control panel, 1999 beaver thunder
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 11:30:07 PM »
In January 2016 we had to replace the inverter in our coach.  The original unit was a Xantrex Trace SW 2,500w.  The new unit is a Xantrex Freedom SW 3,000w.  When I was fooling around trying to learn the remote it locked up a few times.  The first time it locked up I was unable to reset it.  When I called Xantrex I was told to simply unplug the remote's wire from the inverter for a minute, then plug it back in.  That fixed it.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Sam Haynes

Re: No power to inverter control panel, 1999 beaver thunder
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 06:42:23 PM »
 Thanks for the reply David I did give that a try with no luck. But the problem is solved after a lot of testing. Turns out the cable had failed.  This one had me chasing my tail :-) when I tested the phone cable it showed open on all six wires. When I put I tone tester on it I could get tone at both ends so I was left scratching my head trying to figure out if the toner was incorrect or if the cable tester was incorrect.  I replaced the ends several times on the cable and found a spare remote to test with just in case mine was bad. I verified the remote was working by using a telco cable to bypass the cable installed on the coach, everything function normally.  The only solution to fix the problem was to replace the cable from the inverter to the remote.  For anyone who may have to change  this cable  you'll find it follows the drivers side frame rail forward  to the front of the bays. You can remove some of the foam insulation and pass the new cable through. It will exit about a foot behind the propane tank, you can then feed it over the propane tank and continue forward in the rail. At this point you'll be at the fuel tank you can pass it in the rail next to the fuel tank or go around the outside  next to the wheel well, then join the frame rail again and go forward to the front of the coach.  With the service door removed from the front of the coach you'll see a bundle of plastic flexible conduit coming up by the generator.  I located the flexible conduit that held the original wire and replaced it with the new one and work my way to the passenger side of the coach.  Inside the coach you'll need to remove the decorative panel on the  passenger windshield frame rail to gain access to the original cable.  You can use the old cable to carefully pull the new cable up into the windshield frame rail. Then pass the new cable up into the cabinets.
 I found hundred foot of cable at Fry's electronics for $10 and it took about a half a days work to install the new cable.
 Anyone planning on upgrading their inverter in the future would want to consider installing a Cat  5 network cable also.  The new inverters no longer use the flat six conductor telco wire.