Author Topic: ECHO CHARGER  (Read 4689 times)

Dave Blystone

ECHO CHARGER
« on: September 18, 2010, 07:32:07 PM »
MY START BATTERYS ARE DISCHARGING.  HOW CAN I TEST THE ECHO CHARGER?  I CHECKED BOTH FUSES, AND THE GREEN  LIGHT IS LIT, BUT IT DOESNT SEEM TO BE CHARGING.      THANKS DAVE
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 03:17:53 AM by 14 »

Edward Buker

Re: ECHO CHARGER
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 10:06:19 PM »
Your house batteries should be seeing about 13.8V or so from the main charger. The echo charge should be keeping the voltage level on the chassis batteries at about .5V below the house batteries or 13.2V. If not the charger could be defective or something could be pulling more than the 10-15 amp cabability of the echo charger. That could be a bad battery cell or something left on in the coach. You could disconnect the main chassis lead, leave the echo charger connected and see if the voltage comes up or if you have the proper meter measure the current being drawn with and without the chassis lead connected.  You could also tie one battery at a time to the echo charger and measure voltage and see if one of the chassis batteries has a bad cell. Hope this helps.

later Ed

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 03:58:37 AM »
David,

I do not know if my last note helped you. The net of it is if the green light is on and not blinking and the fuses and connections are good then the echo charger basically is a switch that allows current flow from the main battery bank to flow to the starting battery bank but not in reverse. The prerequesite for charging is that the house bank has to be up at 13,8V so that when the banks are tied through the circuitry, that enough voltage is available after circuitry losses of about .5V to enable charging at about 13.3V.
Assuming the main bank of batteries and main charging system is in good shape (voltage at approx 13.8V) then the next requirement, in order to maintain the chassis batteries charged, is that the current supply from the echo charger of 15 amps is not exceeded. That requires that all cells in the starting batteries be in good shape and that the coach is pulling less than 15 amps from the chassis battery bank. If you put a small external charger, with an ammeter built in, on the chassis batteries and they take a charge and the current tapers from the small charger amp capacity down to a couple of amps and you measure over 13V on the chassis batteries then that would indicate that the echo charger is not doing its job and is defective. If the external charger is continually pulling 10-15amps or more and does not taper down then you need to find the source of the current draw and eliminate it and then verify that the echo charger maintains the chassis battery bank at 13.3V or so. Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:53:16 PM »
Our echo charger was blinking and not charging the starting batteries and the new AGM house batteries low at 12.7 volts. We opted to replace the 6 year old starting batteries and have not had a problem since. Check the batteries first.