Author Topic: LED Light Replacement  (Read 5544 times)

jacksharp

LED Light Replacement
« on: November 02, 2016, 07:48:36 PM »
After quite a bit of research (much of it was on the BAC Forum) I have found a direct replacement for the halogen bulbs in the ceiling (the ones with the gold rings) from Amazon. I only ordered a few to start with to make sure they work, and you guessed it... they work great! Here is the link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014QVCCKY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The link may change so here is the part number: Boniux LST0474-WW-2W AC/DC 12V. This is a pack of 5. Not sure if they can be had for less money elsewhere, but these do work. I did have to file the ends round a bit to make it easier to fit into the socket.

Hope this helps someone...  8)
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Doug Allman

Re: LED Light Replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 09:14:26 PM »
Yes, we have tried that method and numerous of us did not like the overall results and is why we looked for a better LED fixture.

There are several things that the coach manufacturers created when they installed the halogen puck lights in the ceiling. We found this out when we replaced numerous ones in numerous coach's.

Due to the high temperature that the halogen bulb emits the area above the halogen puck light is left empty all the way to the roof cap. In warm weather it does not help the a/c cool the coach. In cold weather it does not help the warm temperature either. As you drive down the highways it contributes to the wind noise. In several coach's we found the remains of numerous flying or crawling insects.

I do not know of anyone that would have drilled 32 holes, our coach, at 2.5 inch diameter in their insulation. Although the insulation used was not great leaving that many holes makes it kind of like swiss cheese. After our significant interior remodel other than the CAT the Allison and the chassis I am still wondering how the 2004 Marquis we have retailed for over $500,000.00. There absolutely is not $350,000.00 worth of other items and quality there IMHO.

As we replaced the Led fixtures we foamed these open areas above the fixture to solve these numerous problems as the led emits 90% less heat. The led fixtures with the translucent glass lens also diffuses the light and you never look directly into the leds even though there are 16 leds in the 3" unit.

There are many that have changed to these units and they can better tell you why and how it made their coach(s) look and feel. We were even contemplating changing our furniture as the halogens were so dim that on a day without sunshine it was very dim inside the coach. As told by a coach remodeling owner, first change your lights to led and then decide on the furniture and flooring. He was absolutely correct - we have not changed a thing to lighter colors that require more cleaning.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

john brunson

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 10:06:16 PM »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 10:23:03 PM »
Jack, the site doesn't say that particular unit is dimmable.  Many coaches' edge lighting is on Multiplex circuitry that allows variable light levels of the puck fixtures.  I note at Amazon there are now a slew of different JC10 replacement LED's, including some that say they are dimmable, so there are more options than a few years ago.

Thanks for alerting us to more options.  And thanks to Doug for the enlightening (no pun intended) information.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

jacksharp

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 04:09:36 AM »
Thanks for all the input. GREAT info as always.... Although I have not tried them yet, the package does say dimmable. I also filled the holes above the fixtures as well. So far the little woman likes them, so time will tell :)

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 06:06:40 AM »
http://www.rvautoparts.com/ITC-Overhead-Light-Halogen-3-81230-D_p_7488.html
I've tried replacing bulbs with LEDs and haven't been satisfied. Just had 3 of these installed over the fridge/washer area and they really brighten up the area and add an updated look. These have a serious power supply  and a frosted diffuser for each light and were $25 apiece at my installers, about half that on the net. I'm going to add a few more at strategic locations,  too many and I could perform surgery.

Mark Bryant

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 03:11:42 PM »
I like led lights because they use 10 times less power and are a whole lot cooler to the touch.
Every light on my coach is LED except headlights! Would not go back for any reason!

John Nord

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 03:16:31 PM »
I put the LED lights in and it adds a lot more light and it uses a lot less power. I also found that it was a better light than the light that a halogen light puts out. My unit which is a 2002 Contessa looks a lot better inside now. I was also able to do it for a cheaper price.
John Nord
2002 Contessa 2009 -2017
2004 Marquis 2017
2005 Smart for2

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 04:03:36 PM »
I replaced all the halogen lights in our coach about two years ago when word first came out about the oversupply of LEDs at Kaper II in Kelso, WA.  I called and ordered 75 of the 3" LEDs from Leslie Charette.  She indicated they had over-ordered and the inventory was taking up too much shelving space.  Thus, they were having a "fire sale."  I also needed to purchase some blade connectors at Home Depot because the new LEDs came with their wires bare-ended.  I only needed 57 LEDs, but ended up giving a Beaver-owner friend the others so he could change his out too.  The LEDs are a brighter and softer light than the original halogens.  Their power usage and heat are almost un-noticeable - only 1.2w compared to 10w and the lights' diffusers barely get warm. My total cost was just over $200 for 75 LED lights, shipping, and the blade connectors.  I spent three mornings changing out all 57 halogens to the LEDs.

I would rate this project as a significant and inexpensive improvement to our coach.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:05:30 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!