Author Topic: Heat Tape Switch in basement  (Read 4930 times)

Mike Groves

Heat Tape Switch in basement
« on: November 07, 2016, 10:17:03 PM »
In my '99 Marquis there is a switch that says "Heat Tape" on the rear wall, passenger side, of the basement (wall which separates the grey/black tanks bay from the basement.  Anyone know what this is doing when its switch on.  The light on the switch does light up, but I don't notice a change in the amps on either leg of the 120V lines when I turn it on.

Thanks,
Mike

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Heat Tape Switch in basement
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 11:28:15 PM »
I've seen this come up before here, but don't recall the answer.

However I'd guess you are not seeing an amp change because one, if it's like our icemaker solenoid tape it runs off 12v., and two, it likely has a thermosensor that only allows it to activate when the temp. wherever the tape is gets down to a certain point.

-Joel
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:29:56 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 12:52:39 AM »
This may be elemental, but the heat "tape" runs along the water lines that travel outside the vicinity of the water bay. Mine can be seen running inside the covered chase in the lavatory, to that sink and on to the washer/dryer in back. As noted in the manual for my coach in the latter portion of the Water Systems section, under Cold Weather Conditions, in bold print it reads " The heat tape system requires 120 volts AC to operate. The heat unit must be plugged into the designated receptacle. The heat tape is self regulating and can be left plugged in. Current draw is 3 watts per foot. There is also an instruction to insure power is present at the plug, that there is an indicator in the heat unit that shows that the tape is energized and that the average tape length is approximately 15 feet.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:18:21 PM by Neal E Weinmann »
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 01:16:26 PM »
Mike,
I think that on your coach, the heat tape is under your tanks and it is a 12 volt tape.

Gerald

Mike Groves

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 02:22:42 PM »
Gerald, I'll check again, but the switch unit with light is in a typical electrical box with typical electrical wiring, but I'll check again to make sure I wasn't looking at a nearby outlet in the same area.  I took off the tank cover looking for another issue and noticed the wiring for this box.  But, again, I'll check it to make sure I was looking at the right box's wiring.

I'd like to believe its thermostatically controlled, like an electric blanket and that's why there's no draw.

Mike

Dale Walker

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 03:41:14 PM »
Mike, I have a heat tape in my coach, it was plugged in to a 120 receptacle in the bay with the pull out tray. I tested the receptacle and found no power, so went into the bathroom where the breakers are all located, and pulled the one designated for basement. When I pulled it out, it had been unhooked, and the wires were taped and just hanging there. So, I reattached the towires, went down to the box and lo and behold, I had power. So because I had no way to test the tape, I plugged it back in which tripped the breaker instantly. So I unplugged it, reset the breaker and haven't investigated it further.