Author Topic: Brakes ABS-WTH!  (Read 4133 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Brakes ABS-WTH!
« on: November 18, 2016, 02:48:50 PM »
Yesterday I got off 95 South of Jacksonville and gently put pressure on the brakes doing about 35 to slow behind traffic.  The coach started...surging...is the only way I can describe it in one word.  It was like someone was stomping on the brake and letting pressure off about once a second or so.  It doesn't seem to happen at higher speeds but brakes don't feel as effective at higher speeds.  I drove on back roads towards Camp Blanding and the symptoms remained the same.  Very "violent lurching" when braking at low speeds.  Really funny thing is that sometimes the "lurching" would continue for several seconds after I took my foot completely off the brake. 
Now it seems to my non-mechanical mind like the ABS is involved here somehow?  If so, can I disconnect it somehow and drive normally?  If so how and where would I do this?  If not ABS, what?  Thanks in advance!
Clueless in Florida.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Brakes ABS-WTH!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 03:03:25 PM »
No suggestions?  That may be a first.  I have to drive home tomorrow.  Does this sound like ABS and can I safely disable the ABS by pulling a plug or fuse to drive? 
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 04:28:27 PM »
The only surging I can remember was when the brake rotors become warped... and that was not on my coach.  That was on a pickup or car I had years ago.  The rotors were removed and, I assume, put on a lathe to remove the high points to be made "flat" again.  If the rotors are too thin, then they must be replaced.  I do not know enough about ABS to suggest that may be your problem.  But, I would have your ABS and brakes checked sooner rather than later.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 09:39:22 PM »
Jerry,
I was hesitant to suggest anything because I am not sure what your problem is. Normally, you can disconnect the ABS controller (pull fuse or disconnect circuit breaker) and you still have standard service brakes. However, your problem sounds a little like a cracked brake rotor, so if you disconnect the ABS controller and the problem does not go away, seek service very soon.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 12:53:08 AM »
Thanks, It may be a cracked rotor but the problem is just like someone was slamming their foot on the brake pedal about once a second.  Kind of like we used to do on wet or icy roads but a lot harder.  I am almost convinced it is the ABS but the fact that sometimes it keeps it up even when I no longer have my foot on the brake is even more evidence that it is ABS or evidence that it's not and I don't know how to pick which one.  I'll try to find the fuse.  Thanks.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH