Author Topic: C-12 Ran out or Fuel...Now What  (Read 4680 times)

Dick Simonis

C-12 Ran out or Fuel...Now What
« on: November 25, 2016, 09:05:38 PM »
Shear stupidity on my part but I managed to let the fuel system get full of air and now...no start.

Fuel filters are full, priming pump is operational but nada.

If I just keep turning it over with a periodic rest will it eventually fire.

What had happened is that I damaged the strainer upper O-Ring in my Raycor and it just sucked air.  That is now repaired but the damage is done.

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
Re: C-12 Ran out or Fuel...Now What
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 10:18:05 PM »
Dick, you might try a little starting fluid in air intake. If your lucky it might start. Be careful not to spray to much into intake, as to much is hard on motor. Just about a second or two. If this does not work, then you will have to crack open injector lines and crank motor until fuel comes out of lines. Hope this helps!! Frank.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 10:42:30 PM »
Thanks Frank but I seem to be OK now.

Ran the genset and jammed the boost switch so it would stay engaged then just keep doing cranking/rest cycles until it fired.

The problem I had with the strainer was interesting.  The new strainer was supplied with 1 o-ring that is fairly large but there was also an internal o-ring inside the top block.  Well, when I assembled  it I had not looked for an internal o-ring on the top and managed to ding it up and push it partially out of the groove.  This gave a massive air leak when I fired it up.  I could see by the sight glass something was out of wack but after I shut it down to repair it wouldn't start again.

Interesting lesson.

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 11:56:42 PM »
Dick,

Glad you conquered that issue. This post has the PNs for those orings in case anyone wants to carry a few or plans on changing the current Orings out.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,813.msg4880.html#msg4880

Later Ed

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 12:45:17 AM »
We had the Racor and I cleaned the screen and replaced the O rings.  I didnt use a lube on the O rings and should have.
Dave Atherton showed me an internal prime pump that gets ignored but also has O rings that need servicing.  Dont have the Racor on the new rig.  Thought I would miss the see through screen .  It lets me keep an eye on the fuel and quality etc.  Dont miss it at all.
LOL
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 04:20:44 AM »
Gentleman, reading post running C-12 out of fuel. I want to suggest use of ether or starting
fluid even a little shot will come at a big price in engine damage. Use of starting fluid with
intake heater operating when key switch is turned to start and turning over by starter. Where
damage has and will happen, starting fluid or ether is drawn into engine while cranking starter.
The starting fluid is drawn into charged air cooler and settles in the bottom of the CAC. The intake
Heater gets hot with battery power and will set off explosives boom and lots of damage. If engine
happens to start at this moment will have over speed in RPM's and engine runaway. The damage
Is not pretty. Second Cat C-12 bleeding injectors is not set up for that task being removal of
Valve cover to get at injectors. The C-12 injector is a electronic two solenoid injector that will
not delivered fuel untill engine ECM gives signal to do so. One solenoid on the C-12 injector is
Mechanical and other solenoid is electrical. Dave has posted several times on forum on
How to bleed air from secondary fuel filter and starting a Cat-12 that has been run out of fuel.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Michael Rump