Author Topic: Existing solar panels  (Read 5349 times)

William Jordan

Existing solar panels
« on: January 11, 2017, 10:18:49 PM »
On the 03 Marquis , I've added additional panels , 600w, on a separate system to the coach batteries but I'm trying to asses what the existing panels "are". As in what is their wattage ? And it seems I read but can't find now that they are connected to the chassis batteries not the coach batteries is that correct ? The prior leak post of Mike got me thinking about those panels and their capacity in relation to the new array.

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
Re: Existing solar panels
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 01:15:05 PM »
There generally is a label on the back of the solar panel identifying power and voltage ratings. I have included a sample photo. As for how they are connected I can only suggest that you check the wiring diagrams and fuse blocks. Mine it tied (fused) in behind the Battery cutoff switches. on a 05 Monterey. As an 03 it should be a Monaco coach you may want to give REV technical support a call (877-466-6226)  and they should be able to tell you what to look for and what was installed. Lastly if you have a Heliotrope Inverter they were taken over by AM Solar. I have attached a photo the model rv 45d and the manual in case it what they used.

Best,
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 02:48:23 PM »
Bill,
l believe that the factory installed solar panels on your 2003 Marquis are two 75 watt panels for a total of 150 watts.

Gerald

William Jordan

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 04:38:51 PM »
Thanks , than makes sense. The ID tags are missing, I've used a camera to look under the panels. The heliotrope controller (am solar) in the holding tank bay  had evidently failed and I replaced it with a bogart controller , also bought from am solar. They provided the original build but couldn't provide any information.
The wiring is totally inadequate and too small but that was the way it was done back then, and even today
I'm adding 600 more watts and the roof has room for 400 more. AM solar also suggested I remove the existing panels and replace them with  two additional smaller 100 w panels  (1200 total)  but I'm trying to assess if it's worth it. I now  see I'll gain just 50 watts so probably not. Thanks again! 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 04:51:29 PM by William Jordan »

Ron Baisley

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 05:25:32 AM »
I have an 05 Monterey I originally had 1 100 watt panel and had 2 160 watt panels added. About 1 year later my solar wasn't working. I called AM SOLAR and spent several hours on the phone with Dave diagnosing the problem. The 100 watt put out 24 volts and the 160 watt put out 18 volts. This confused the solar control panel and Burnt out. I replaced the 100 watt with a 3rd 160 watt panel.  I also replaced the solar control panel and put all new 8 gage wire plus a 50 amp circuit breaker and 50 amp switch. That I put in line between the new control panel and my coach batteries. If you have questions call Dave at AM Solar (541)726-1091 Good Luck Ron Baisley