Author Topic: Adding rear suspension limit straps 1996 Magnum Monterey (how to)  (Read 2606 times)

Neal Strickberger

So after changing out the rear airbags (Firestone W01-358-8959) I noticed that the leveling jacks can lift the unit to where the rear axle is hanging from the airbags. Apparently some units have limit straps, mine didn't and there were no existing brackets.

So I added limit straps to prevent possible damage to the airbags. The lower shock absorber bracket bolt is located above the suspension beam and works perfectly for this purpose.

Parts:
2x Trail-Gear 6-Ply Limit Strap, 36" (part 111299-KIT) $32.05 each
2x 1/2" 3" bolts, washers, lock washers, nuts grade 8

Tools:
Impact with 3/4" socket
1/2" breaker bar with 3/4" socket
Possibly: air chisel or punch
Possibly: drill with 1/2" bit

Installation:
Jack up the unit with jack under diff, extend rear levelers to pick up the chassis a few inches, remove rear wheels.
Remove lower shock bolts. In my case, one was rather recalcitrant and had to be persuaded to exit with an air chisel. I then cleaned up the hole with a 1/2" drill.
Loop the strap around the suspension beam.
Thread new bolt through: washer, strap bracket, 2 spacers, strap bracket, frame, washer, lock washer, nut.
Tighten to snug.
Lower the jack enough to stretch and align the strap.
Torque the bolts.
Reinstall wheels.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:00:29 PM by Neal Strickberger »

Gerald Farris

Re: Adding rear suspension limit straps 1996 Magnum Monterey (how to)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »
Neal,
Nice looking installation. The reason that your coach did not have travel limit straps installed from the factory is that with the lighter suspension (single air bag at each wheel), the original design was depending upon the shock absorbers to limit the downward suspension travel instead of the added expense of travel straps.

Gerald 

Neal Strickberger

Re: Adding rear suspension limit straps 1996 Magnum Monterey (how to)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 07:00:53 PM »
Gerald, thanks for that.
Though in the case of my unit, the shock travel was long enough that the pull on the airbag looked unhealthy.