Author Topic: Propane Flame Color  (Read 5745 times)

Bart Mix

Propane Flame Color
« on: January 24, 2017, 04:39:32 AM »
On an inconsistent basis the propane flame for our stove recently varies from a fairly solid blue flame to a much less efficient yellow orange flame. Tank was filled two months ago & is now at about 68%. First noticed at the recent Q Rally while dry camping. Sometimes normal blue & other times the yellow orange? Just tonight while warming up water for dishes the flame was normal blue on all three burners & within a minute or two all 3 turned the yellow orange which tends to leave a slight amount of soot on the bottom of the pan. What is the cause & how do I correct? Had this coach for 10+ years & this year is the first for this problem. We have a large propane tank but only used for stove & refrigerator as we have Aqua Hot for heat/furnace.
Bart from VA
03 Beaver Monterey

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Propane Flame Color
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 08:34:05 AM »
It's possible the yellowing is a lack of proper air in the burn mix.  That could be from some dirt or old food particles plugging the air ports/nozzles, or inadequate gas pressure from a leak at a valve;  if it was just one burner that would lead me to check with mild soapy water the offending rotating valve, or any master valve if all the burners did it.  The old Magic Chef stove in our Pace Arrow often needed new burner valve seals, etc., but no such problems have occurred with the Beaver's stove.

I've read commentary that fine dust in the air can cause yellow flame, by reducing pure air substrate to the mix, but that's unlikely in our coaches unless there's some reason the air inside is just inadequate.  If there's an adjustable sleeve controlling burner air inlet, increasing that port size a bit may be all that's needed.  The more air the bluer the flame, but there should be a blue flame core tip and slight yellow flickering noticeable.

My experience has been that low gas pressure due to ice crystals in the regulator, especially when outside temps drop, or just an older regulator on its last legs is as likely a culprit as anything, especially if all burners behave the same.  That could also mean problems for the propane side of your fridge, perhaps not quite yet providing symptoms.  Usually the result though is just inadequate gas pressure altogether.

I'd see that the tubes and nozzles are clean and any air inlets open enough.  Barring that alleviating things, check for valve leaks behind each knob and any main valve.  If you're uncomfortable messing with these things, consult a technician.  Then consider having the regulator at the tank replaced;  a look at the fridge nozzle's flame may confirm a bad regulator if it happens to be inconsistently yellow also, assuming it's nozzle was clean and the air inlet was previously adjusted right.

Joel
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 09:04:26 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 01:28:41 PM »
   Hi Bart, After reading your description of the problem, I would think the issue could be your regulator at the LP tank. Every time you have an LP tank filled, there is a certain amount of "ethyl mercaptan" (oily substance that gives LP its odor) along with the liquid propane. If that oil gets into the regulator it can make it operate in an erratic manner. If you have access to a manometer, I would perform a gas pressure test at the stove. The pressure should be 11" water column pressure with or without demand on the regulator. If you are not comfortable with solving the issue I would have a certified RV technician guide you.
   Hope this helps, regards Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 02:08:44 PM »
A yellow propane flame indicates lack of air, propane is best at a ratio of about 24:1 sounds like your air intake is closed off or blocked.

Bart Mix

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 08:50:01 PM »
My Update! - after posting this topic last night I did some Google searches. One thing I found was a demo where a humidifier was used in the area which increased the relative humidity almost changing blue flame to yellow orange flame. My DW uses a humidifier when too dry to help with her breathing & we had it on yesterday. Our humidity in the RV last night was 56% running the humidifier. This morning 55% & the flames yellow. With the humidifier off our humidity just now is 40% & all blue flame. So it could be air related with too much humidity? I will continue to monitor, test & report results.
Bart from VA
03 Beaver

john brunson

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 01:51:22 AM »
Yellow flame = rich mixture

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 06:31:36 AM »
Sure, Bart, the higher water content in the combustion air leaves less oxygen available to mix with propane.  The result is a blend that's too "rich" with gas, as John notes, and a yellower flame as water molecules displace O2.

The humidifier is your likely cause.  It may make breathing easier for ailing humans but, like dust or impure air, it's not so great for feeding flames.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bart Mix

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 11:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the rapid input from you all! For the 3rd day of testing, when we have the humidifier on with a higher humidity reading in our coach we get a yellow flame. Turn off the humidifier & let the humidity fall then the flame returns back to blue. Turning off the humidifier sure beats having to replace a propane regulator! Guess the humidifier is doing its job!
Bart from VA