Author Topic: Xantrex problem  (Read 6630 times)

Bill Stireman

Xantrex problem
« on: October 09, 2010, 11:11:44 PM »
My xantrex remote keeps shutting down.  Sometimes it comes right back on.  Sometimes it comes on if I start the engine.  Always goes off when I try to extend the two bedroom slides.  Any suggestions?  In West Virginia on the road to South Carolina.

Bill Stireman
'04 Monterey
400 Cat

Gerald Farris

Re: Xantrex problem
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 12:59:21 AM »
The first thing that I would check for is low battery voltage or corroded cables at the house batteries.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 02:50:21 AM »
Seems like the problem is voltage sensitive. When you move the slides you are lowering the available voltage due to the load that the slide motor puts on the batteries. When you start the engine you are raising the voltage due to the alternator output. Gerald mentioned the batteries and as he indicated you need to be sure that the wiring is bolted tightly and is corrosion free. That could be he source of marginal voltage. Also load test and be sure that the batteries are all in good shape with each cell filled to the proper level and that the batteries have no bad cells. If you find that everything is in order and the batteries are in good shape then you might try and use an eraser to scrub the contacts at both ends of the cable that conects the panel to the Xantrex. Those are just spring friction contacts and a little surface oxidation could make some of the wire interfaces marginal. Hope this helps.

later Ed
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 02:22:37 PM by 910 »

Bill Stireman

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 11:40:36 AM »
I cleaned the battery contacts and sprayed them, also topped of batteries w/distilled water before leaving on the trip.  Checked them and there is no new corrosion.  Batteries are from '07.  Maybe I should start by replacing all four?

Bill Stireman
'04 Monterey
400 hp Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 02:31:31 PM »
Bill,

Unless there is a bad cell in one of the batteries replacing them will not help your problem. I would have them tested with a load tester before spending the money. You might check the ground lug to the frame near the battery compartment that the black leads tie to. Turn off the AC to the coach, the Xantrex, and battery shut off switches if you have them. If you can reach the terminal chassis lug, loosen it a couple of turns, brush it with a wire brush if rust or corrosion is evident, then spray it liberally with WD 40 or equivalent and tighten it. A final coating of white grease will help protect it. Just trying to be sure that all the connections are as they should be. Once your sure that all the connections are in good shape and the batteries are also good it may be time to have a service location check out the Xantrex.

Later Ed

« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 02:54:44 PM by 910 »

Bill Stireman

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 12:06:38 PM »
Replaced all four house batteries and it seems to have taken care of the problem.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Bill Stireman
'04 Monterey
400 hp Cat
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:06:48 PM by 14 »

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 01:32:11 PM »
Bill,

Glad it worked out and was an easy fix. I assume that the cause was a bad battery with a bad cell. For my own information was the panel showing abnormally high current demand before the Xantrex shut down? That would have indicated a bad battery. When the rear slides were operated the added current demand caused overcurrent shut down and when the engine started the alternator added enough available current to allow the xantrex to come back on would be a rational explanation.

Regards Ed

Bill Stireman

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 05:30:53 PM »
Don't know if there was an unusual demand on the panel as I was not watching it.  Just kept shutting down for a while then would kick back on.  But the new batteries did the trick.  I guess for me it was easier to throw $400. into 4 new batteries than to worry about what was going on as we were on the road, enjoying life and had no patience for problems.

Bill Stireman
'04 MONTEREY
400 hp Cat