Author Topic: Expansion tank - replacement hose  (Read 4912 times)

Tic Wilson

Expansion tank - replacement hose
« on: February 03, 2017, 06:15:58 PM »
Shortening a long story, 1st, alternator died.  With help from Gerald Ferris, we made it to our winter base.  Removed the expansion tank to gain access to alternator bolts.  The expansion tank is made of nylon, and has what I approximate as 2" diameter hose coming out of the bottom of the tank.  This hose needs to be replaced.  Where do I get the correct replacement or suitable substitute?
Thanks for any guidance.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C9
Tic Wilson

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Re: Expansion tank - replacement hose
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 07:25:01 PM »
That hose is 1-1/4 . Replace clamps while in their. The truck parts store I used gave me a return/suction hydrolic hose. Has the wire support like the one that came out. Ours was brittle and broke when I pull my tank. Napa Auto/truck parts store should carry.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Tic Wilson

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 07:42:34 PM »
Thanks Jim!  When I pull the hose off the lower Tee, any idea how much coolant is going to drain?  I also think I will install a somewhat longer length to make it more manageable to pull the tank in the future.  My hose was also brittle with rusted wire showing.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 10:06:04 PM »
I lost over three gallons. On the bottom end have the new hose ready so you don't lose as much coolant as I did. I did cut the hose a little long so that I could grip it to push it onto the tank. I hope your grip is better than mine because that hose reinforced with wire is a challenge.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 05:35:04 PM »
I too had to have this hose replaced on my 05 Monterey. It appears to be a common issue on this particular year and model.

Perhaps a tally of commonly occurring issues and solutions would facilitate more rapid diagnosis and/or prevention of serious/costly problems. Just a thought...

Bob
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 06:59:35 PM »
Bob,
Check out  "Common Problems" under the Technical tab on the BAC website   http://beaveramb.org/
We're documenting the learnings from commonly discussed issues on the Forum.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Randy Stephenson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 02:52:11 PM »
Tic:

I replaced my hose due to an upper re-occurring leak.  I estimated 2-gallons were in the expansion tank, so I purchased 2-gallons at the CAT store before proceeding.  After trying drain and capture the antifreeze with limited success, I discovered that not only do you lose tank fluid on the upper flange, once the hose is off the engine flange fluid will back flush fluid until it reaches a level point (probably around a gallon).  So, I reattached the hose and re-grouped. Therefore, I can confirm that as Jim advised, 3-gallons will be lost.

I had another idea that solved the problem.  Using an oil extractor pump (I use it to when changing oil on our Wave Runner).  I ran the hose through the upper tank opening, down through the tank and into the engine hose all the way down to the flange.  I then pumped the fluid into clean containers.  I was able to extract approximately 2-gallons.  When I pulled the hose, minimal fluid came out of the engine flange.

I pulled the old hose off and placed shop towels into the engine flange while going to the auto parts store.  I was able to find a 1 1/4" ID hose (cut to 24" long) at O'Reilly's auto parts.  Since I had the old hose, I cut the new one to the same length (around 18") and installed it on the engine and tank connection.

I bought 24" of vinyl hose from Lowe's and attached it  to a large funnel, this allowed me to fill the tank from above the engine compartment door while on a stepladder.  I used an automotive paint filter to filter the old fluid, re-used the 2-gallons and added 1-gallon of new fluid.

Following is a link for the extractor pump that I used. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200596412_200596412

Randy

Randy & Jane Stephenson
2004 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Lexington 40' 3 Slides
CAT C12 505 HP

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 03:48:56 PM »
Any time I have to do maintenance that will require opening the cooling system where I might get significant amounts of fluid loss, I find it easier to simply drain the antifreeze into clean containers at the radiator petcock. Lot less messy too.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 07:21:40 PM »
I use this cheap hand pump for any liquid.  It works well for topping off the expansion tanks on the engine and AquaHot.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200430883_200430883
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!