Author Topic: Using Delco Bose radio w/o the generator.  (Read 6848 times)

Keith Cooper

Using Delco Bose radio w/o the generator.
« on: October 14, 2010, 03:40:18 AM »
Recently purchased a 2000 Beaver Patriot Monticello, cat 425 diesel on a 40' Magnum chasis. Our first road trip was driving  home to Georgia from Mesa, Az in four days (had to get back to work).  That trip left me with a long list of questions.  When we picked up the Beaver from the wholesaler, it did not have any owners manuals.  The first day in Az & New Mexico was very hot, so we drove with the generator running most of the day.  When we finally shut the generator down, the Bose sound system stopped working. The coach has a Bose home theater system and I was only able to use the dash Delco(Bose) radio or the Bose home theater when the generator was running. Is that normal, or is there a sequence I should be following to use the radio w/o the generator while driving?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 03:57:46 AM by 14 »

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Using Delco Bose radio w/o the generator.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 09:51:05 AM »
Hi Keith
Is this your first Motorhome?  Are you a new BAC member?
We purchased our MH two years ago though thankfuly with most of the manuals.  We moved up from gas coaches to the diesel so the learning curve has been huge.
I will be very surprised if there is not someone on this forum who has manuals for the 2000 model to share with you.  That said there are few differences between yours and our 1998.  
The list of things unique to your / our rigs is extensive.  I can shave some time and money off for you if you care to hear some of our experiences (too much to list here)!

Feel free to contact me at moffrobb@yahoo.com for more info.
Your question:  Is the Bose overhead or in the cabinet between driver / passenger?  If its overhead is the stereo switch on?  Its in the overhead cabinet with the Bose.  Look in the middle bay on the passenger side all the way to the back and up by the frame.  On the left is the power switch, straight in is the Xantrex inverter/converter.  There are 2 breaker switches on the front of the Xantrex, both should be to the left.
If the inverter is working properly, the 110 circut should work for a time off batteries alone and all the time with the engine running and or the gen set running.  The Bose surround should work in any of these configurations.

Glad to help any way we can.
Best of luck and Congratulations

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 01:31:59 PM »
Just a note to add to Keith is that the Bose system is 110 volts so it needs a 110 power supply and it can be the generator, inverter or shore power. You should be able to get an inverter manual from the manufacturer and it will have a section on managing power usage and loads.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 04:12:29 PM by 14 »

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 04:11:43 PM »
The entertainment equipment will run without the generator or shore power, if the inverter is turned on.  Probably above the entry door is a control panel for the Inverter/Charger.  Just push the inverter on button and you are in business.  While the coach is running, the alternator will keep your batteries charged.  While dry camped, keep an eye on the battery charge.

Larry

Keith Cooper

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 12:49:46 AM »
Thank you all for the informative replies I will try to locate the inverter switches this weekend, and get the dash radio working without the generator. I would try it this evening but we have the unit in a storage lot about 20 miles from where we live.
In answer to the questions we (Eileen and I) are new to BAC. . The Beaver is not my first RV, but it mght as well be. Started out with an Amerigo slide-in in the 70's, drove and broke down repeatedly in a 73 Winnabago Indian on a Dodge chasis during the 80's. There truely is no comparison between what I had then and what we have now. We are really looking foward to traveling with the Beaver.  I have been impressed with Beaver's for a long time (grew up in Bend)

Ron Johnson

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 07:58:42 PM »
Sounds like our Coaches are very similar except I have the Brandywine floorplan. I have most of the manuals that came with it if you need them or anything else my email is rjohnson8600@gmail.com.