Author Topic: Replacing deep cycle batteries  (Read 3533 times)

Ted Couch

Replacing deep cycle batteries
« on: February 26, 2017, 06:23:52 PM »
I need to replace my 4 deep cycle batteries in our 89 Marquis. There is not enough clearance to use the 6 volt golf cart batteries. I prefer the sealed batteries as the tray does not slide out far enough to access the back two batteries and it is difficult to add water for proper maintenance. With the ever-changing technology I am asking forum members for their thoughts/recommendations for replacing my current batteries which are now slowly losing the ability to hold a charge for extended periods. Thanks in advance for your help. :-\

Bill Sprague

Re: Replacing deep cycle batteries
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 05:26:43 PM »
Ted,

I stuck with the flooded batteries for our Beaver.  Filling the back ones was not easy.  Our new (tiny) motorhome has near impossible to service batteries.  I found a filling and service system I really like made by "Flow-Rite".   It comes in two parts.  If i had known about it, I would have set up the Beaver with it.

First part is for the batteries.  You snap it in and forget it.

https://smile.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2000-Pro-Fill-Battery-Kit/dp/B001FCAXT0/ref=lp_9556922011_1_4?srs=9556922011&ie=UTF8&qid=1488215860&sr=8-4

The second part is a fill tube.  You snap to the connector on the batteries, dip the end in a bottle of distilled water and squeeze the bulb until firm.   

https://smile.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2020-Pro-Fill-Qwik-Fill/dp/B001FC79EW/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001FC79EW&pd_rd_r=QRYCJKMQPR308Z19NPGG&pd_rd_w=f3ytO&pd_rd_wg=t5BXh&psc=1&refRID=QRYCJKMQPR308Z19NPGG

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 05:41:06 PM »
Ted,
There are many choices in RV house batteries today, and probably many more in the future. You decision (choice) will come down to what features you want in the batteries (maintenance requirements, charging efficiency, useable watts, and safety). and how much you are willing to spend. The typical flooded lead/acid golf cart battery is the most bang for the buck, but it has maintenance requirements, is heavy, and has the lowest charging efficiency. The next choice is an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery. The AGM battery has almost no maintenance, charges more efficiently, and cost about twice as much as the flooded cell battery for about the same life span.

The last choice is a lithium battery in either a lithium ion or lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) design. The lithium ion design can be a fire hazard if the battery has any manufacturing flaws like the ones in some of the cell phone and computers in the news lately. However the lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) is not a fire hazard, but it has a lower power density. Either of the lithium designs will be 2 to 4 times the cost of the AGM batteries and a properly designed system will have almost no maintenance, and last twice as long under heavy use if the charging and discharging parameters are strictly adhered to.

Gerald         
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:57:55 PM by Gerald Farris »

Greg Kamper

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 05:57:52 PM »
I would have to second what Bill said about the filling stations. I have that on our PT. The back batteries are not to easy to fill with out it, but with it, it takes me only a couple minutes and is a breeze to do.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 10:01:55 PM »
I would have to second what Bill said about the filling stations. I have that on our PT. The back batteries are not to easy to fill with out it, but with it, it takes me only a couple minutes and is a breeze to do.
Greg,

On my Beaver, the conventional caps always seemed to vent a little acid.  My routine maintenance included spraying the batteries and rack with a garden hose every few months to prevent the corrosion. 

With the Flow-Rite caps on our new motorhome I've not had any sign of venting in over a year.  What is your experience? 

Bill

Dick Simonis

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 12:12:13 AM »
X3 on the profill.  Super simple to add water and no mess in the Battery tray.  In my mind that takes away a big reason to go with very expensive gel cell or similar.  I need to change mine and I'm sticking with lead acid golf cart.  Either Trojan or I interstate.