Author Topic: REAR MUDFLAP?  (Read 3288 times)

KC Snellgrove

REAR MUDFLAP?
« on: March 21, 2017, 05:56:06 PM »
GOOD MORNING! I need a new rear mud flap. Can anyone reccommend a source to order one? Thank you.

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
Re: REAR MUDFLAP?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 06:39:34 PM »
I need one myself. I have been looking at Duraflap.

http://duraflap.com/product/beaver-2004-2006-monterey-beaver-2004-2005-patriot-marquis/

These guys seem more reasonable. Some quotes I have received were in the $1000 range. If anyone has any reviews on these guys please let me know Thanks
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

KC Snellgrove

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 08:04:55 PM »
Jim THANK YOU. ye, I have seen this manufacturer. The price is sure good. I am going out to measure my old one and compare the dimensions. I am most concerned about the width of the rubber.  :)

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 11:37:23 PM »
Let me know how you make out, I can't measure mine. Under a bit of snow and more to come.
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 06:07:22 AM »
We are happy with our purchase from Duraflap and the support is good.  They are also BAC members.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 01:46:23 PM »
To all that deal with mud flap changes or adding a Beaver Logo stainless panel, these are some considerations.

Duraflap folks are great and do quality work. I had the original rubber large mud flap on a 20002 Marquis and I added a stainless full width Beaver logo panel that covered about 60% of the height of the rubber. It also came with a galvanized wear panel that contacts the ground first on the back side to prevent the stainless from being damaged. All top notch materials.

My thought was that 40% of the panel was still flexible and can pivot as need be when contacting the ground. The issues were that the hydraulic SMC leveling drops the coach pretty low at the start of leveling and on any rising terrain toward the rear of the coach would bind the flap in the dirt. We ended up having to use a boat hook to angle the flap out to the rear at times while leveling and it was heavy. I took the metal pieces off and had them water jet cut down in height some and that helped but at times the rigid metal panel posed issues. I was backing one time at a fuel stop and the rear of the coach was low enough due to a dip followed by rise that the panel went to pivot back under the coach and bound itself between the pavement and the coach. There was no damage but it required that I drive forward to pivot it back out to unbind it.

The message here is be sure if you are adding a steel logo panel that your coach can handle all the variations in leveling and terrain without any consequences of binding especially if your flap is to the very rear of the coach and full size and not suspended with chain or links. The materials and workmanship were top notch and my issues were in my own design of the stainless panel dimensions vs the range of motion of the rear of the coach suspension. Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 10:59:23 PM »
I cannot speak to Duraflap, but defer to the opinions of several respected here as to its quality.  I have had experiences similar to Ed's, and our driveway/sidewalk/street interface is no mudflap friend, especially with the 2005-2006 and other model Montys with relatively low backsides.  The thing can get trapped in dirt and gravel on uneven campsites, etc., or worse, asphalt.  Getting caught between a hard surface and the hitch didn't ever help, but the Roadmaster hitch roller I finally added did.  Since Henderson's tweaked the air system, I've had few if any episodes with dragging back there, so even a half inch or a more balanced coach overall can make a difference.

A couple of times I've put our mudflap on sawhorses and straightened bends, and touched up rusty spots with POR-15 paint.  But scratches in the chrome just have to be accepted, and aren't too noticeable under the coach anyway. 

Now I take the extra step to remove the flap when we get home and haul it 30 ft into the garage, storing it flat under our pickup.  I just have to remember to put it back on when we start trips.  The thing is heavy and cumbersome, hard to unhook and rehook by myself, and dirty, but unscathed from the driveway now.  An advantage is that it's easier to scrub, check for and treat rust, and polish when it's out in the open, as opposed to fastened under the coach.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat