Author Topic: Entry door seal gasket repair Adhesive  (Read 2735 times)

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
Entry door seal gasket repair Adhesive
« on: April 13, 2017, 12:58:21 PM »
Hi; To whom it may concern. I developed a hole in the air pressure gasket that surrounds the entry door. After some research I have found the following:
1) That the cause of the hole was a sharp edge on the lower hinge corner of the door. This caught, lifted and cut the gasket. This was corrected with a small bit of file work.
2) I was able to track down the gasket manufacturer and gasket material is EDPM. They will not sell direct and referred me to Rev group. Replacement gasket cost was excessive.
3) Their recommended fix was to use a gel version of super glue (Cyanoacrylate Adhesive). They did not hold up hope of this repair lasting long I suspect because the adhesive is ridged when it cures and the gasket is required to flex in operation.
4) Researching EDPM I found that it requires specific adhesives to bond. Many adhesives will NOT bond to this material.

3m makes an industrial adhesive , product number 4799,  that both bonds EDPM and remains flexible. I used for the repair and it seems to be working nicely. I also used it to reposition the gasket to the door frame  I would describe it as sticky rubber in a tube. It is also is good for bonding a host of other materials. The technical data sheet is at:

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Industrial-Adhesive-4799?N=5002385+3293242409&rt=rud

It is available through the beaver portal at amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WI9W4K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems a bit pricy for a 5 oz tube but for me well worth it. (and I am sure that there will be other stuff that will need to be stuck together!)
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Bob Stone, LaMonte Monnell

William (Bill) Staley

Re: Entry door seal gasket repair Adhesive
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 07:08:47 PM »
Hi Jim,

I have the same type problem except that the hole in mine is far too large to repair.  Did REV group give you a part number, or, do you just need to buy the the required length of seal?

Appreciate the info!

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 08:31:38 PM »
Hi Bill. The gasket needs to be replaced as a unit. As memory serves (looked at replacement last November) it was about $900+. Rev or BCS should be able to get you the correct part number for your coach. Beaver made so many running changes that with my luck the part number I would give you (if I could find it) would be wrong. I have attached a photo of the damage prior to repair so you can get an idea of the extent of damage. I believe I could have repaired a significantly longer tear as long as the gap wasn't over say 1/16". 
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 12:18:30 AM »
For the benefit of new owners happening upon this thread, be aware door seal damage commonly occurs because someone closed the door while the engine was running and the tranny in gear.  Can't happen?  Yup, it can.  The door moving against a fully inflated gasket is a big no-no.

My wife had a thing for the wind noise issue when ours was new, and a couple times she'd get out of the copilot's seat and reshut the door while I pulled over, but I only had my foot on the brake and the rig in gear.  Don't do that!  Or someone such as a Canadian or U.S. border official would come to the door as we stopped, but the rig was still in drive with my foot on the brake.  Just be sure to take it out of gear before anyone is opening/closing the door.  Your foot on the brake is not enough.  And it's the safe way to do things anyway.

Joel
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 12:24:02 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Beamon

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 04:53:25 PM »
Sounds like a good reason to lock the door when ready to travel and NOT unlocking till you stop after following given  GREAT advice by Joel.