Author Topic: Access to Black Water Tank Compartment  (Read 5620 times)

Dave Porter

Access to Black Water Tank Compartment
« on: October 28, 2010, 06:39:47 PM »
Greetings

I'd like to add a TV in a storage bay to be mounted on pivoting wall mount so that I can swing out the TV for tailgating and back in for traveling.  I'm thinking this will be a whole lot easier than lifting one out from a storage bay, finding a table and setting the thing up, connecting cables, etc.  The previous owner provided power and the cable connector in the bay and the best location for the wall mount would be on the panel separating the basement storage bay and the black water tank.  Assuming there is room, I'd like to put some kind of backing on the wall mount which would necessitate exploration of the bay holding the black tank.  And, of course, I don't have an idea how sturdy the chosen wall is.  So I am jousting at windmills?  I haven't poked around much but it's not terribly obvious how one gets the outside panel off to access the tank area.  Any hints?  Has anyone done this kind of project before and have any other ideas?

Many thanks,

Dave
2005 40' Beaver Monterey
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:09:25 AM by 14 »

Tom and Pam Brown

Re: Access to Black Water Tank Compartment
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 09:20:04 PM »
my 99 marquis had tv and power hook ups on the front wall of the tank area.
I installed a 2 x 4 on one of the floor supports and mounted a swing arm type flat screen mount
and it works well for tailgaiing.

Tim Westman

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
Hi Dave,

There are two latches under the panel you are interested in.  A hinge permits the panel to be lifted once unlatched.  Hope that helps.

Tim Westman

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 11:14:12 PM »
Dave-

I'm not sure what you mean by "outside panel" when you refer to the black water tank bay, so I'll assume you mean the bay access door.  When we initially bought our coach, I was a bit befuddled about that access, because it wasn't a typical bay door.  On ours, there are two hook latches underneath the access door's bottom lip.  Releasing their catches allows the door to swing up.  Behind it are the gray and blackwater tanks, several Alladin modules, the solar controller, a hydronic bay heater, temperature sensors, and a myriad of pipes and wires.  Our water pump and fittings sit in a white box that distends into the bay from the adjoining bay, so the pump gets some exposure from the bay heat, to prevent freezing.  The pump itself, however is not accessible from this rear bay.

If your coach is like ours, there is a small carpeted panel that covers that pump configuration on the adjoining bay's wall.  Removing the panel (it easily pops out or in) provides access to the pump, filter, T-connections, and winterizing kit valve.  Our rig came from the factory with TV outlets already installed on that same wall.  Mounting a TV arm on that particular wall, though, is complicated by the water pump access panel.  That's not to say it can't be done.  I'm not certain you need a backer plate to mount the arm, as long as the TV is not too big.

By the way, those two hook latches may need adjusting to get them not too tight or too loose.  If unfamiliar with them, you may have to play around with the latches to see how they work.  Then loosen the small nut just behind the latch's end hook, and turn the screw shaft in or out until you get it so the door latches securely, then snug down the nut.  Check this for both latches.  If the latches are too loose they can drop down on a bumpy road and let the door open inadvertantly.  If they are too tight they can distort the door so it doesn't align properly with adjoining body panels and bay doors.

Hope this is of some help.

-Joel
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:30:31 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 11:25:48 PM »
Here is a picture of my TV installation.  Not quite sure how to reduce the size to post more.  Send me an email if you want more pictures.
I removed the useless antifreeze tank and connected a hose that I run to a 5 gal. pail for winterizing.  I fabricated a backboard and upper frame out of black plexiglass to hide the plumbing.  The TV is mounted to a standard desktop monitor arm.

Glenda Farris Co-Admin

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 07:56:20 PM »
Re-sized photo