Author Topic: Power steering box  (Read 4341 times)

john brunson

Power steering box
« on: April 15, 2017, 07:57:14 PM »
Can anyone tell me the make / model power steering box on 36' Monterey (Magnum blue streak)?
Need new seals ... recommendations on a facility to rebuild?

John

Gerald Farris

Re: Power steering box
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 08:17:58 PM »
John,
I am not sure which steering gear was used on the 96 Monterey, and since you did not give your location, it is difficult to recommend a shop for the repair. You will also find it difficult to find a shop that will reseal your steering gear because most shops will only exchange it with a rebuilt gear, even though the average steering gear will only require the replacement of one seal to repair a leak. The need for specialized tools and training makes the seldom see steering gear repair impractical for most shops.

Gerald

john brunson

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 08:21:51 PM »
South central Alabama... we got the coach home... and this is bizarre... the thing did not leak half as bad in the last 70 miles!?!?!

I am positive it is the steering box tho... saw it pouring out with my own eyes...

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 02:45:28 PM »
John, Gerald is correct leave any work to trained people even though the oil leak
may seem simple. There is lot of liability involved. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 04:43:04 PM »
John,

I have had RV mechanical work done by this shop and they are trustworthy and fair. It is a family business. Not sure how far you are from Robertsdale AL. They are about 5 miles south of I10 on Rt 59. Not sure about the availability of the parts, you may want to do some investigation on your own.

http://www.b-dauto.net/

Later Ed

john brunson

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 02:29:25 AM »
I have a shop i trust.... i just need data on the steering box.... working on a plan to get it pulled

Ken Ingram

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 02:57:29 AM »
My 96 Monterey 30' has a Sheppard steering box.  I believe it is a M80 model.  Hope that helps.

john brunson

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 06:22:45 PM »
Definitely a Sheppard M 80 Pin code, PAW1.  $450 to rebuild in its entirety... two hours labor to R&R.... works great now