Author Topic: Older model Beaver wisdom please  (Read 3349 times)

Ken Ingram

Older model Beaver wisdom please
« on: June 04, 2017, 03:42:46 AM »
I've owned my 1996 30 foot Monterey for almost a year.  I purchased it from a gentleman who had inherited it, and had limited knowledge of its operation.  While doing maintenance, repairs, and upgrades, I have learned how to operate most of its devices.  Except for the two switches that I describe below.  I'm sure somebody here has seen them before and knows their function.

One switch is on the panel above the left side of the drivers seat.  I am pointing to it in the picture.   The other is in the second bay on the right side, the one just ahead of the right rear wheels.  The switch is at the top right of the rear bulkhead, just inside the bay door.

I greatly appreciate any help.

Ken

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Older model Beaver wisdom please
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 03:53:09 AM »
If you have the Aladdin coach monitor system, the one above the driver may be the on/off switch for it.  Mine is mounted above the driver and is not labeled either.  Thats all I got!  Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 04:33:09 AM »
Ken,
Only guessing but the DS switch might turn on your stereo system. The 00 Marquis had a similar setup.
If you haven't discovered it, we have a good selection of 96 Monterey documents in our technical library, including the owners manual and owners manual supplement (real helpful in locating stuff). I wasn't able to ID your switches but maybe a closer reading will. The manuals are located  in the Coach Assist post in  the Private Members Only board at http://beaveramb.org/coach-assist-members-only-2/
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

darell ottoson

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 06:20:42 AM »
Ken,   I have the same year , model and even color as yours. As for the first switch. On that panel I only have the control panel that checks tank levels, propane level and turns on the water pump.     That is it .     Where you are showing the switch in the cargo bay I have a GFI outlet. I wonder if some one added all these other items. I cannot make out the meters you have on the drivers side panel but is it a charge indicator? I do not have it  nor do I have the AC or DC receptacles on that panel .  Other than that ours look Identical!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 05:17:50 PM »
Ken,
On most Beavers the wires are labeled. If you haven't already, pull the switches and see if the wire labels give you an indication of their function.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Ken Ingram

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 05:35:01 PM »
Thank you all for the quick response! 

Jerry, I have a Silverleaf and it is powered through the ignition switch but thanks for the idea.

Steve, I have all the manuals except the supplement.  I had never seen that and it was informational.  The only stereo I have is the dash radio.  I haven't noticed any rear speakers but next time I am with the coach I will try that.  I would also note that overhead switch is just like the switch that activates the icemaker (located next to the refrigerator) , without the red light which indicates the icemaker is on.  Unfortunately the coach  is currently stored about 40 miles away so I only get to visit it about once a week.  Yes, I think you are right, I'll have to pull the switches.  Thank you for the info and idea.

Darell, I also have an outlet in that bay, just forward of the switch in question and in the roof of the bay.  It is not a GFI.  At first I thought the switch might turn the outlet on/off, but that is not the case.  I need to open that switch up and see if it is 12v or 120v. 
The meter you see on the overhead panel reports the charge rate of the solar panels.  Thanks for the info.  And I want to compliment you on your coach of choice.

darell ottoson

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 07:01:55 PM »
Ken,  Congratulations to you also. I have had mine 2 years and have been very happy with it. I tell everyone it drives like a sports car! Lots of power and no need to make wide corners as rear tracks the front exactly. I think some one has been adding switches, My icemaker only has its own switch. There are none mounted separately with light indicator. Could that switch in the bay be a light switch and lights added in the bay?
   I do have quite  a bit of info I have researched on this coach. I read the forum often so do not hesitate to ask. Unfortunately I am not much help this time.
I have the original sales info on mine and it did come with solar panels. They have been removed for some reason by previous owners. The mounting brackets are still on the roof as well as some wiring that goes somewhere. The panel where you have the charge indicator meters shows no sign of ever having that indicator mounted there.  There are no cutouts or screw holes. I also have never found any indication of it being mounted elsewhere.  Good luck and keep us posted   Thanks Darell

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 09:54:59 PM »
Ken, I don't think you need to open up the switch in the bay to tell its voltage rating.  You should be able to just expose the wiring by peeling back the corrugated sleeve (aka convoluted split loom tubing) running into it, as per your photo;  that's of course common for protecting and making-neat 12v. automotive harnesses, and has a slit along it to facilitate slipping over wire bundles.  I have rolls of various sizes over my workbench.  There's likely just a power wire in and one out of the switch, and maybe a ground in and out. 

Then like Steve notes, if it's a factory installation you may be able to read what's stamped on the wires inside that split tubing;  there won't be enough wire in the switch to read any printing along it anyway.  That said, others here with more historical perspective would have to speak to when wire printing started, as your year may have been prior to.  I'd also try to follow that loom tubing as far as possible to see where it goes, although, as is common, other wires may join it confusing the traceability.

It wouldn't seem plausible for the factory to install AC wire exposed in a bay like that, loom tubing or not, but who knows what previous owners or techs may have done.

My initial guess on the overhead switch would be the Aladdin Reset, as that area is a common location for it.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:57:14 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat